Well worth the effort - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Graduate of BBQ Central

Well worth the effort

Got the first big tomato harvest from my garden over the past 2 days. Picked about a bushel - mostly paste tomatoes and turned them into juice today. We use our complicated, super secret recipe - one tsp canning salt, one qt tomato juice. Here's half of them in the sink after washing

And here's the first run of juice

The two jars with white rings are an experiment (lots of water showing). We use the pressure canner (background) because it's much faster than the water bath canner.

Cabela gas vertical smoker
Ducane gas grill
http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/
big dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Dang yall obviously got two green thumbs each and some knowledge and equipment most folks are lacking. Great job. Now I woulda ate them maters raw till they was fixing to die and go to heaven then do the canning thang. Among the multitude of gifts the Lord gave us...a BLT with real mayo and home growed maters got to rank near the top.

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #3

Old school rules. Canning is fun.

Pigs
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Graduate of BBQ Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Dang yall obviously got two green thumbs each and some knowledge and equipment most folks are lacking. Great job. Now I woulda ate them maters raw till they was fixing to die and go to heaven then do the canning thang. Among the multitude of gifts the Lord gave us...a BLT with real mayo and home growed maters got to rank near the top.

bigwheel
I've been eating the big ones raw for almost every meal. We grow the paste maters exclusively for canning, sauces, salsa, etc as they have a much higher pulp to water amount.
All done now - 18 qts total
Ducane gas grill
Old 07-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #5

Canning is fun? Whut you been smokin Boy? I know some folks who would take two bags sight unseen Let us interject some reality into the situation. No it aint fun. It about as fun making sausage or reloading bullets...which means it aint no fun at all...but the end result is hopefully worth the pain in the booty which it takes to do it. Simple huh?

bigwheel

[
Old 07-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

Ok gotcha on the pulp vs water deal. Watched a TV show about it one day guess it was on the Food Channel maybe..whereas the fella was saying Romas was the best mater for sauces and such for the very reason you mention. Now is this hot or warmish? Out of date etc?

bigwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dude
Quote:

bigwheel
I've been eating the big ones raw for almost every meal. We grow the paste maters exclusively for canning, sauces, salsa, etc as they have a much higher pulp to water amount.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #7

Canning is great. I might get back into making my chile pequin hot sauce. You have great mater sauce!
surfinsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Graduate of BBQ Central

Quote:
Ok gotcha on the pulp vs water deal. Watched a TV show about it one day guess it was on the Food Channel maybe..whereas the fella was saying Romas was the best mater for sauces and such for the very reason you mention. Now is this hot or warmish? Out of date etc?

bigwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dude
Quote:

bigwheel
You're right on with one minor adjustment - Roma is a culitvar but is used generically like "band aid". All Roma's are paste (sometimes called plumb) tomatoes, but not all paste maters are Roma's - mine are Kada and Quimbaya which I like because they are bigger, produce better for me and have a lower water amount.
Ducane gas grill
Old 07-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #9

Well I got mixed emotions on the chile pequins. Cant resist eating em and always enjoy bumping into their various incarnations of hotsauce but they have a funny flavor..or maybe mo betta lack of flavor or something that just hard to put a finger on it. To my edumacated pallette they just turn into being hotter than heck. Now around Austin they call em "river peppas" supposedly cuz thats where they like to grow in that part of the world. Now the po white local trash gringoes I knew around Corpus called them "pea peppas." Know they grow wild all over down there. My dearly deceased old Daddy worked in the oilfield down there and it was a big test of manhood to go scoop a handful of pequines off the bush..blow off the leaves and eat the whole handful. Takes a tough dude to do that. Make a grown man sweat and cry like that po fella yall was hazing on the beach to get indoctrinated into the fishing Club

bigwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsapo
Canning is great. I might get back into making my chile pequin hot sauce. You have great mater sauce!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
God O'Que

Looks good BD. My mom used to can all sorts of stuff but unfortunately it didn't carry over to me, guess I'll live vicariously through your pictures.