Welcome LudaChris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the welcome. I have been in the bbq catering game for ten years now. Specializing in whole hog roasts. I have two mobil pits. I'm near Buffalo so it's kind of slow in winter. I also do vending. I look foward to reading the adventures of others on the fourm.

I do about 3 or 4 per month June threw October. I do them direct over live hickory coals or sometimes lump with hickory wood. I have a home made rotis. rig I built. Or do them split direct on the cooking grate if there not too big. I have a 100 pound min.on whole hog.

I only do about 4 a year, but they're the most fun...just learned a new technique last year where I don't flip.....worked very well. Can't wait till my next one!...doing one with a friend in April.

Skin side down? I have done that a few times. Take it off and let it sit skin side down on the cutting table to let all that good juice back into the meat then a flip peal the skin off and shake some salt on the skin and put the skin on a hot grill fire.Pork cracklings! Yumm Yumm. Don't get much better than that.

I haven't mastered perfect pork skin...the few bits I get are my favorite part!!!

Please, tell me how to keep my skin from getting so tough! Too hot?
I've got a drip pan that results in indirect cooking...this prevents flare ups....or maybe I need more heat? I try to cook between 200 and 225.

I go skin side down and place bricks under the ends and sides to form a sort of pig bowl....I pour my thin mop in the cavity, and mop the sauce on the exposed corners during the cook. this keeps the ribs from drying out.

I take it your cooking direct.Corect? If so what kind of pit? ie with or with out a cover.How much space from the top of the coals to the bottom cooking grate? Where and how large are the dampers on the pit? Why the drip pan if your useing a coverd pit? What kind of fuel for the fire? How big of a pig do you do on avrage? I can take you to great pig skin but need a little more info. :D 200 to 225 is a little on the low side.Unless you are into drinking brewskis all night :D I'll help all I can. Just need a little more info.

Welcome aboard LudiChris !! 8) Are you able to post any pics of your rigs? Sure would be interersted in seeing some if you can. :-D

Soon as I figure out how to post them they will be on the way. I'm dumber than a stump when it comes to this computer jazz. :oops:

LudiChris said:
I take it your cooking direct.Corect? If so what kind of pit? ie with or with out a cover.How much space from the top of the coals to the bottom cooking grate? Where and how large are the dampers on the pit? Why the drip pan if your useing a coverd pit? What kind of fuel for the fire? How big of a pig do you do on avrage? I can take you to great pig skin but need a little more info. :D 200 to 225 is a little on the low side.Unless you are into drinking brewskis all night :D I'll help all I can. Just need a little more info.

Cooking indirect....covered custom built gasser that I modified to add smoke. The burners are about 18 inches from the concave drip pan which lies beneath the grates (about 3 inches). Because it's gas, there's no dampers. The average is between 75 and 100 pounds.
We pretty much drink all night, but that's not a necessity.

Sorry I can't help at all. I'm old school. I have my own opinon's of gas hogs and any thing else cooked with gas and called barbecue. I find it better to keep them to my self as to avoid a huge war :D I do use gas in a holding pit when catering but that's just to keep finished product in a coverd pan for holding.

Captain Morgan said:
Thank goodness somebody qualified anough finally asked!

Cappy, I always thought you were adequately qualified in my book!? Everyone has opinions! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom