Welcome LudaChris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Greg has been a big help. I must admit, I don't use my chimney no more. I use my weed burner, which is attached, alas, to a propane tank. I understand that this renders my fire unusable to real bbq'ers like you guys, so I won't post that much anymore, just the occasional question. Perhaps when you come through here you could show me how those little cigarette lighters work? I keep burning my thumb.

:lcry: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lcry: :p :lcry: :p :lcry: :p
Captain Morgan said:
Well, Greg has been a big help. I must admit, I don't use my chimney no more. I use my weed burner, which is attached, alas, to a propane tank. I understand that this renders my fire unusable to real bbq'ers like you guys, so I won't post that much anymore, just the occasional question. Perhaps when you come through here you could show me how those little cigarette lighters work? I keep burning my thumb.

:lmao: :lmao: :lcry: :lcry: :p :lmao: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

Ed: Sounds like you are about to take delivery of one very nice pit.I my self would use a old time tested method of checking the pit before cooking on it at all.It's called The Biscuit test. What you do is get a few tubes of cheap biscuits from the store, Get a fire going in the belly of the beast, and when you think you have it stable and the temp. you like (I go 275F-300) put the biscuits all over the cooking surface.(mine are usually 18 to 20 inches from the coals) Let them go for 10 min. then check them. No peeking with the lid. Till the 10 min. is up. That way you can tell if there are (and there will be) any hot spots. 25 pounds of lump and a few fist sizes of pecan or hickory should produce a 12 to 15 hour burn with the size of your pit you described to me.Nothing beats the sound of the sizzle of pork fat on the coals. Not to mention the flavor! Something a gasser will never produce! Now on to flipping a whole butterfly pig. The biggest mistake is letting the pig cook too long. I start mine skin up and flip after 6 hours or so. That way you can control the fire and not end up with tuff skin.Then flip on to the cutting table.let it sit so all that juice has a chance to redistribute threw the hog.There is no excuse for a dry hog with the exception that is was cooked too long or not done properly.Lean hogs are a little tougher to cook, But when they are skin side down it works kind of like a "swim cap" affect.Keeping the moisture in. I never mop or dump any kind of sauce on the pig while cooking.That's a short cut for a dry hog that was over cooked and That's not good barbecue.

Back
Top Bottom