Weekend Getaway to Arizona Spurred Sausage Quest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
We visited family in Mesa, Arizona over the weekend and my sister-in-law whipped out some homemade sausage they had made earlier that week. This was the first time they made sausage and I have to admit, it was very tasty.

She knows I like to BBQ so she started asking me all kinds of questions on how to smoke them. I've never done sausage before so I had her boot up her computer and check out the Sausage Factory section on the blog. Man, before we were done, I had ordered hog casings and a vertical stuffer on-line. We have a sausage cook off scheduled for this summer at my house. Going to have to do a lot of practicing before she comes out. There's no way I want to get beat by my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. They're great people but man the only BBQ equipment they own is an old gasser . . . smokey lew don't want to loose!

On the way home we drove through Sedona, Arizona. It's known as "Red Rock Country" as you can see from the picture I took. We also stopped off at the Grand Canyon to catch the view from the rim and a snow storm the next day. I attached some snap shots of our trip.

Red Rock formations at Sedona.

Me blocking the view of the Grand Canyon.

My wife getting blown off the path. 30 mph gusts and temps in the low 40ds.

View out our hotel room at 7:00 a.m. SNOWING!!

Drive out from Grand Canyon. Lots of falling snow and wind!

After a few hours, we drove out of the storm. Total distance from Grand Canyon to home was 445 miles and it took us seven hours.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great trip, great pictures and sounds like a fun competition. Are you sure that third picture is your wife, thought maybe you mislabeled and it was your daughter you lucky dog :?

Wow Lew that is some spectacular geography, photography and peopleography. Who is the old gray headed hippy looking character? :)

Great country and it's hard to beat homemade sausage. I picked up some sausage at Ferucci's Italian Market in Cornelius for this weekend. Three lbs. of Brats = 8 sausages so I'll be buying some loaves of fresh Italian bread for them. The Sweet Italian Sausage are more normal in size. I'll grill them all, but some are going into spaghetti sauce.
Looking forward to the COOK photos.

Back
Top Bottom