Weber One Touch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
After 30 years of gassers I'm considering going back to wood with an 18.5" Weber One Touch (Just the wife and me). Does anyone use lump instead of charcoal, if so how do it do? Also, is the easy cleaning system on the Gold worth the extra bucks over the Silver model?

TIA

John A. said:
After 30 years of gassers I'm considering going back to wood with an 18.5" Weber One Touch (Just the wife and me). Does anyone use lump instead of charcoal, if so how do it do? Also, is the easy cleaning system on the Gold worth the extra bucks over the Silver model?

TIA

I've used lump and briquettes and to me the cook identical. YES YES YES, the GOLD is worth the extra bucks.

I think the gold is worth the extra...and I would go with the 22.5 instead of the 18 even for two people the 18 is kind of small...

Well you spitting out quite a few oxymorons here. Lump is charcoal...briquettes is coal and starch and leftover pine trees etc..depending on where the plant is located. It also don't compute that anybody be planning on using wood in a Kettle. Good lump taste eggxactly like electricity and propane..meaning if it got flavor it prob aint the flavor you want. Color me puzzled.

bigwheel

John A. said:

TIA

I try never to disagree with Dave and Nick, but don't shy away from an 18.5" -- our family of 4 grilled on one for nearly 30 years before adding a 22.5" (because we were having a party). My 18.5" is injured, and I think I'm going to fix it. I miss it. A lot of the time it's just right.

--John

dollarbill said:
If anyone has his number call him: check this out....not sure how close it is to him?

http://ocala.craigslist.org/for/1134665738.html

Emailed them this AM DB, no response yet.

Larry, I'm somewhat surprised about the charcoal vs lump since so many of y'all use Royal lump for smoking.

Thanks everyone for the input. If I go in that direction it will be the Gold model but I so seldom cook for more than 2-6 people (98% = 2 people, 1.99% = 4-6 people, .01% = 6 people) I'm leaing hard toward the 18.5".

John A. said:
Larry, I'm somewhat surprised about the charcoal vs lump since so many of y'all use Royal lump for smoking.

John, I've grilled with both and smoked with both and other than the MASSIVE amount of ash from KF, cooking wise I cannot tell a difference whatsoever. That's just me though, I know alot of people that only use lump for grilling and smoking and swear by it.

John, I agree with Larry on this...I haven't been able to tell a huge difference between grilling with lump vs. briquettes. The only difference that I can point out is the ash amounts when you are done...other than that it's a personal preference...especially know that we have a "lump briquette" choice in the stores now.

When it comes to bbq'ing, I only use briquettes...I tried lump but I never got a consistent burn and temperature when I used lump.

Greg Rempe said:
John, I agree with Larry on this...I haven't been able to tell a huge difference between grilling with lump vs. briquettes. The only difference that I can point out is the ash amounts when you are done...other than that it's a personal preference...especially know that we have a "lump briquette" choice in the stores now.

When it comes to bbq'ing, I only use briquettes...I tried lump but I never got a consistent burn and temperature when I used lump.

Hi Greg. Who puts out the "lump briquette" please?

Thank you

Well the only angry lump I ever had was Cowboy brand. Rest of them have been purty well behaved. Now I dont see how any of it would work very well with a chimney. If it small stuff which is made for small pits Ozark Oak for example a lot of it is going to fall out the bottom. If it big stuff like Lazzari for example...most of it aint going to fit down in there. If it do manage to hang some up in there some way time it lit good it gonna be time to add mo. I just puts it where it goes and touch it up with the flame thrower. That works.

bigwheel

PS..Now the flame throw do piss it off good. It will try to pop a hot cinder in a person's eye..unless it B & B brand which pops like Orville Reddenbackers popcorn and it dont need any excuses to pop. Especially the mesquite flavor. Best strategy is shut your eyes when you light it up..hide behind the firebox door etc.

John A. said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":32e58duq]John, I agree with Larry on this...I haven't been able to tell a huge difference between grilling with lump vs. briquettes. The only difference that I can point out is the ash amounts when you are done...other than that it's a personal preference...especially know that we have a "lump briquette" choice in the stores now.

Hi Greg. Who puts out the "lump briquette" please?

Thank you[/quote:32e58duq]

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom