Unwanted Neighbors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
About 8 days ago I noticed some new neighbors started building near me...........

It's been less then 2 weeks and no sign of them slowing down yet............

I wonder if they even have a building permit????????? :evil:

First COLD night....I'll be asking them to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

They are directly over the back door to my garage/shop. When they build this high up off the ground, it's not usually a good sign! Nests this high in trees, usually means TONS of snow!!!!!!!!! :shock:

clickable pics

yikes we had a couple of smaller ones at the apex of our house. One cool evening and our pressure washer took care of them.

Boy howdy, I have not seen one that size since I was a kid. And yea, your right about a bad winter. My grandpa told me the same thing. If you have a Co2 fire extinguisher, a tall ladder and a willing person to hold the garbage bag, your in good shape. ;) :LOL:

I remember taking down a nest like that with a piece of tape and a bag, at night, so you know they are all home. A nasty trick is to get someone off to the side to hold a flash light. If they get out they go right for the light. You will never see the light of the flash light move like that.

Also if you can get some really good spray you can zap them at the entrances, usually 2, and the dead ones keep the live ones from getting out.

Either that or a extermination via shotgun. :D

Good luck with all that.

If I didn't have kids and it wasn't basically in the middle of the yard....I'd take the 12 gauge to it just for fun! :LOL:

It's one of the biggest I've ever seen and getting larger by the day.

The more I look at it each day, I kinda want to save the whole nest now and hang it in our livingroom. Gonna have to "goooooooooogle" how to properly empty the nest from unwanteds ......... wife doesn't like the idea. I think it would be cool hanging near the deer head, porcupine, snow owl, gator head, large mouth bass and woodpecker.

Honestly... didn't even know what "thing" did that until I started googling "insert bug name" nest until I found a picture that looked like the correct nest. But...DAMN!

I'm told that some people (daffy types) pay $100 and up for those nests. Wait till winter and grab it in one piece and sell it to an antique dealer.

Cliff H. said:
Bees or Hornets ?
Hornets.

Here's a link on how to collect and preserve hornet's nests. Their suggestion is to wait until the hornets have abandoned the nest in the fall. I don't know if I'd have that much patience, especially if the nest is close to the house.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2006/10-4/hornetnest.html

hornetB1.preview.jpg

If those are hornets they don't go dormant...a buddy of mine found that out the hard way kicking one of those like a football :shock:
Take the 15 gauge to it......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom