Two Unrelated Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
Are any of the Weber charcoal cookers able to perform efficiently as both a smoker and a grill. WSM, One Touch, Performer, etc??? To the best of my knowledge the only cookers that can do this are the ceramics. I know that Fast Eddy Maurin is coming out with a new cooker that can do either exceptionally well (I've seen the prototype in action) but the darn thing is going to be a little too rich for my blood.

Also, I have some boneless/skinless chicken breasts marinating for 36 hours. After I remove them is it safe to use the marinade as a basting sauce AFTER bringing to a boil? I think that should kill any of those little squiggles in there.

John, the weber grills can be used as a smoker but the WSM is obviously built for low and slow so during a side by side test, you would notice that the WSM is able to perform its task better than the Kettle grill can...same goes in reverse for high heat grilling...

That is a mighty long marinate time for chicken breastes. Whut you got em soaking in and why for so long? If you don't mind a person being nosey of course:)

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
That is a mighty long marinate time for chicken breastes. Whut you got em soaking in and why for so long? If you don't mind a person being nosey of course:)

bigwheel

Here you go BW. Trying this marinade on whole B/S chicken breasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie

SPIEDIE SAUCE

8 bay leaves (crumbled up)
4 tsp oregano
8 small cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1/2 C lemon juice
1/2 C salad oil or fruity olive oil (preferred)
3/4 C vinegar (any variety)
1 tsp pepper
3 tsp salt (or to taste)

Mix all ingredients together in a non-metallic dish. Add meat, cover,
and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours; stir occasionally.
Olive oil will solidify when refrigerated, so remove the spiedies once or twice per day to allow the oil to 'melt', then stir.

Spiedies can be left marinating for 2 to 5 days; some claim that they
can be left for a week or more! (Longer marinating may help make
beef & veal more tender.) Add more marinade if required.

Thanks all.

Greg, I suspected that. Each is outstanding for it's intended purpose but neither does it all.

Thank you,

John A.

Well wished you had checked with some of us Speedie Expurts afore jumping off into this venture. I got a recipe which will make you chunk rocks at that one. Wayyy too many bay leaves. Try this link. Also bag it up in Glad freezer bags instead the non reactive pot. Much less messy. I left cubed chicken breastes in there 3 days one time and didn't hurt it a bit. I have also done them in 15 min in one of them food saver vacuum pots. Takes about the same time span on beef. Knocks half a week off the project:) The vacuum tumblers from Cabelas works real well too and they will hold larger amounts..even a brisket flat. Now the yankee from Endicott Noo Yawk who turned me on to these thangs orders his own marinate in gal jugs from the place which made em famous up in Noo Yawk. Now everybody say they are of Eyetalian origins..but since the Greeks taught the Eyetalians everythang they know...and Speedies don't like but a little Oregano to be Greek Souflakki..I figger the Greeks done it. I mean Eyetalians eat sphagetti and meatballs and stuff like that. Right?

http://www.jodysgarage.com/rcp7.htm

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom