TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just recently purchased (within the last three months) a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4 1080P HD LCD flat screen. It was rated as one of the highest-ranking LCD TVs in Consumer Reports.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-5 ... 615&sr=8-2

We wanted a LCD due to brightness and glare issues in our den. Plus the burn in from scrolling sports tickers is not an issue either, like plasma screens have sometimes.

It is the best entertainment investment we’ve made in a long time. I recommend springing for a Blue Ray player also, if you get 1080P. It really makes a big difference in the viewing details.

Hope this helps.

One thing, There are many camps who say this, that or the other is better.
It realy comes down to:
1 buget
And
2 size of your room (The above links has sizing recomendations)

With all the sets out there google the set model & manufacture. To see if folks have had problems with either. I found a bunch of complaints about JVC a while back.
DLP & projection type LCD sets use a bulb. If you plan to buy one of these find out, how long do they last, how much do they cost & can you change it yourself

I went with a couple entry level Viewsonics from Costco. A 37" for the family room and a 32" for the bedroom.

I don't think HD has fully caught on yet (we only have about 10-12 HD channels here in Toronto) and unless you spring for a BluRay player and watch HD movies all the time, you really aren't going to even get the full effect of having an HD tv.... Yet.....

With the price of sets dropping like a stone, I'd suggest to avoid going high end right now, you aren't going to get full use out of it, and by the time you will be able to, the cost sets will have dropped.

LCD. We bought a Sony Bravia KDL V40XBR1 last year and love it.
Get the Sony surround sound (8 or 9 hundred dollar job). It's worth every penny.
If you are hooking up a disk player, VCR and Satellite, you will need someone to come in for a couple hundred to set it up.
I'm an electronics guy and got 90% there, and had to break down and hire someone from the store. That sucks.

Rag said:
LCD. We bought a Sony Bravia KDL V40XBR1 last year and love it.
Get the Sony surround sound (8 or 9 hundred dollar job). It's worth every penny.
If you are hooking up a disk player, VCR and Satellite, you will need someone to come in for a couple hundred to set it up.
I'm an electronics guy and got 90% there, and had to break down and hire someone from the store. That sucks.

Tried to use the HDMI inputs Huh? They suck & are hard to deal with.
They have too many differant versions of HDMI & they fight each other.
Untill its all stanardized stay away from using em. (unless you have ALL the same brand equipment)

The very best money can buy Is the Pioneer "Elite" TV's. But be warned
THEY AINT CHEAP They are rated the highest in all areas.

I have LCD and Plasma. LCD works better in brighter rooms but the plasma looks better for sports and more fast action things. 2 things to think about on this as well.
1. 1080i is only good for blueray at this moment (nothing else spits out that definition) and will NEVER be a broadcast standard.(FCC has already made that statement) Its just a selling point . So if youre not getting blueray or PS3 anytime soon then you might get lucky and find a deal on one of the 720i units that are closing out (if you can still find any)
2. If you can wait until latter part of the year or first of next year it might be worth it. New "organic LCD" (OLED) should be hitting the shelves soon. Its already created, just waiting for the market to settle enough. You can see those screens in direct sunlight.

good luck

I got a Sony Bravia 46 LCD, then got it all hooked up to DirectTv with the HD package. Can't wait for FOOTBALL to start.

Hooked all the stuff up myself without any angst, er maybe a little but all the stuff I got is Sony so it went fairly fast.

I

ok change the i for a p. the 40 hour trip home from the other side of the planet is still having an effect. :D

wittdog said:
Thanks for the input everyone...I ended up with at 52 in Sony LCD..and it's hanging on the wall now :LOL:

Did you pull the trigger on the sound system too????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom