TURKEY FRYER - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Pope O'Que

TURKEY FRYER

Lookin to purchase a Turkey Fryer this year. Anyone have suggestions on the purchase? I am planning on using it ONLY for Turkey Frying once, maybe twice a year. Do I get a cheapie one, expensive one? Thanks

SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

My buddy has the cheapie one. Cost about $30. I see them advertised for that price all the time. Cooked a bird in it last Thanksgiving. It came out great. If that's all your cooking in it ,that's what I'd shoot for.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #3

I bought one at Lowes. It does a good job.

Seems like it was of the $60 variaty on sale.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #4

MBF,

Just make sure the base is sturdy and if I was buying I would go with the 34 qt size pot instead of the 30, most birds are a little cramped in that 30 qt size. Besides let's you do a bigger bird, if you need to.
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #5

Brian, they are great! MBF, do like Bruce said and get the larger pot, you can do more with it. They are also great for steaming clams, lobsters and what not. I too am like you and I need a turkey on Thanksgiving, not a picnic!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #6

I have a Bayou Classic with the 16 x 16 square (patio) burner. Works great with the turkey pot, cast iron, etc. I would buy another one in the future.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian j
i've never had fried turkey. is it really that good? i have a hard time getting the picture if a huge chicken mcnugget out of my head.
They are great Brian, 15lb turkey in 45 minutes. Many people think it will be greasy but it's not, when that bird hits that hot oil, it seals the juices in and makes for one of the most moist, juiciest, crispy skinned bird you've ever had.

A little (a lot) labor intensive on the cleanup though.
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:29 AM   #8

What I looked for when I bought mine (I have two) was a sturdy base and a cast iron burner. One is taller than the other because I baught it for making turtle soup and chowder.
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:27 AM   #9

You can pick up a decent turkey frier just about anywhere. My dad got me one for Christmas several years ago from Wal-Mart and it works perfectly fine. I think he paid around $60 for it. As said before, look for the larger pot and make sure the base is sturdy.

Turkey friers are no more dangerous than frying chicken in your house a little common sense goes a long way. That probably answers the reason why certain people have catastrophies when frying turkeys. I've only fried a handful, but have been extremely happy with the results each time. Here's a list of a couple things that helped me out and may help you.

1. Pre-measure for oil by placing the turkey in the pot while still in the plastic. Fill the pot with water just until the turkey is covered. Pull the turkey out of the pot and where the water level is, is how much oil you should add. This will prevent boil overs/fires.

2. Make sure the turkey is 100% thawed and relatively dry of water. Ice crystals and/or water inside the bird WILL cause problems.

3. Do not attempt to fry the turkey on a deck, in garage or close to your house. Obviously this is common sense, but thought I should say it anyways.

4. Use a reliable thermometer for the oil.

5. Season the skin of the turkey after it comes out of the oil. Seasoning before is pretty much and waste because 99% of the seasoning comes off during the frying process. Injecting and seasoning under the skin is highly recommended.

6. Get some cheese cloth to filter and re-use the peanut oil. Regardless of some opinions about peanut oil, it's one of the best oils for high temp frying and it costs more because it's better. Not to make "yuppies use their visors" or however it was said.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:51 AM   #10

MBF don't skip on the fryer...like Bruce said..get a little bigger of the pot for turkeys and then get a smaller set up with a basket for doing wings, fries and everyother thing that can be deepfryed....my guess is that you will find yourself using it more than once a year if you get the exra basket...also...IMHO peanut oil is the way to go..and it can be bought at Sams or BJs......(we do deepfry days here at least twice a year....start in the morning with homemade donuts and coffe and then switch to beer and everything and anything that can be deepfryed...)

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote