TURKEY FRYER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick Prochilo said:
If you are going to pump up your bird, measure the amount of oil AFTER you pump it! The injection will add volumne to the bird and will in turn help make the oil spill over if you measured before. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I did have the burner off as I lowered the bird in and when I saw that it was gonna run over I stopped and got a pot and drained some of the oil out. It all wotked great from there. It was also a 18 pound bird so she was pretty big.

Do you inject in the breast only? Thighs, legs??

How long did that take you to fry Nick??

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2el39psr]If you are going to pump up your bird, measure the amount of oil AFTER you pump it! The injection will add volumne to the bird and will in turn help make the oil spill over if you measured before. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I did have the burner off as I lowered the bird in and when I saw that it was gonna run over I stopped and got a pot and drained some of the oil out. It all wotked great from there. It was also a 18 pound bird so she was pretty big.

How long did that take you to fry Nick??[/quote:2el39psr]
Now I'm going from memory here....but I think the time is about 3 1/2 min a lb with a few minutes added for when you drop the turkey in and the oil temp drops.......I've injected the breast thighs and legs....about 1oz the legs, 2 oz in the thighs and a couple of oz a various spots of the breast...

wittdog said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":32vb4cks]If you are going to pump up your bird, measure the amount of oil AFTER you pump it! The injection will add volumne to the bird and will in turn help make the oil spill over if you measured before. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I did have the burner off as I lowered the bird in and when I saw that it was gonna run over I stopped and got a pot and drained some of the oil out. It all wotked great from there. It was also a 18 pound bird so she was pretty big.

Now I'm going from memory here....but I think the time is about 3 1/2 min a lb with a few minutes added for when you drop the turkey in and the oil temp drops.......I've injected the breast thighs and legs....about 1oz the legs, 2 oz in the thighs and a couple of oz a various spots of the breast...[/quote:32vb4cks]

I must have pumped close to a pint into that bird. Legs, thighs & breast. I have one of those big a$$ injecters with 12 holes in the needle. As far as cooking, I used 3 minutes per pound then started checking with a thermometer in the breast. It took about an hour for that bird.
Here's is the injection that I used.

3 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon garlic power
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco®, or to taste (optional)

Mix all ingredients together in a small suacepan over medium heat untill all ingredients are dissolved and well blended. Let cool to room temperature before injecting in the turkey. Before putting the marinade in the injector, whisk the mixture well to emulsify all the ingredients together.

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":2puq2p13][quote="Nick Prochilo":2puq2p13]If you are going to pump up your bird, measure the amount of oil AFTER you pump it! The injection will add volumne to the bird and will in turn help make the oil spill over if you measured before. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I did have the burner off as I lowered the bird in and when I saw that it was gonna run over I stopped and got a pot and drained some of the oil out. It all wotked great from there. It was also a 18 pound bird so she was pretty big.

Now I'm going from memory here....but I think the time is about 3 1/2 min a lb with a few minutes added for when you drop the turkey in and the oil temp drops.......I've injected the breast thighs and legs....about 1oz the legs, 2 oz in the thighs and a couple of oz a various spots of the breast...[/quote:2puq2p13]

I must have pumped close to a pint into that bird. Legs, thighs & breast. I have one of those big a$$ injecters with 12 holes in the needle. As far as cooking, I used 3 minutes per pound then started checking with a thermometer in the breast. It took about an hour for that bird.

1/3 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together in a small suacepan over medium heat untill all ingredients are dissolved and well blended. Let cool to room temperature before injecting in the turkey. Before putting the marinade in the injector, whisk the mixture well to emulsify all the ingredients together.[/quote:2puq2p13]

1hr for an 18lb bird, not bad at all. I've got an injector but it's only got like 8 holes in it. Could you taste a difference with the injection? Is it worth injecting??

[quote="Nick Prochilo":12gf8g0g]
wittdog said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":12gf8g0g][quote="Nick Prochilo":12gf8g0g]If you are going to pump up your bird, measure the amount of oil AFTER you pump it! The injection will add volumne to the bird and will in turn help make the oil spill over if you measured before. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I did have the burner off as I lowered the bird in and when I saw that it was gonna run over I stopped and got a pot and drained some of the oil out. It all wotked great from there. It was also a 18 pound bird so she was pretty big.

Now I'm going from memory here....but I think the time is about 3 1/2 min a lb with a few minutes added for when you drop the turkey in and the oil temp drops.......I've injected the breast thighs and legs....about 1oz the legs, 2 oz in the thighs and a couple of oz a various spots of the breast...[/quote:12gf8g0g]

1/3 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together in a small suacepan over medium heat untill all ingredients are dissolved and well blended. Let cool to room temperature before injecting in the turkey. Before putting the marinade in the injector, whisk the mixture well to emulsify all the ingredients together.[/quote:12gf8g0g]

1hr for an 18lb bird, not bad at all. I've got an injector but it's only got like 8 holes in it. Could you taste a difference with the injection? Is it worth injecting??[/quote:12gf8g0g]

Definitly inject! That recipe had a great taste in the bird!

Ill add that Ive had a turkey frier for years. I dont fry turkeys anymore, mostly just because of the mess, but they are awesome. However, I do use my fryer burner to light my chimmney and use the kettle all the time for clams, wings, corn etc ! Id pass on a cheap one and get a good one. Once you have it you'll use it and it'll last forever...

Anyone done the garbage can turkey thing ? My brother in law made a stainless "can" and the bird always comes awesome..not as good as a smoked bird of course...

john pen said:
Ill add that Ive had a turkey frier for years. I dont fry turkeys anymore, mostly just because of the mess, but they are awesome. However, I do use my fryer burner to light my chimmney and use the kettle all the time for clams, wings, corn etc ! Id pass on a cheap one and get a good one. Once you have it you'll use it and it'll last forever...

Anyone done the garbage can turkey thing ? My brother in law made a stainless "can" and the bird always comes awesome..not as good as a smoked bird of course...
I've had garbage can turkey and it was some of the best turkey I've ever eaten....part of that reason maybe we did it at work.......

I don't own a turkey frier, but I have had deep fried turkey several times
MAN IS IT EVER TASTEY!

When you get yours, could you give us a call! I'll bring the beer
:LOL:
Cheers

Steve McMurtry said:
I don't own a turkey frier, but I have had deep fried turkey several times
MAN IS IT EVER TASTEY!

When you get yours, could you give us a call! I'll bring the beer
:LOL:
Cheers

I'll take some pics and post 'em after the cook.....everyone I've talked to regarding a fried turkey and they say how great it is. Looking forward to it!

I would plan on doing more than one bird. You will be amazed at the flavor and the wish you had done more than one.

I cannot bring myself to reuse the oil. Its a big waste so I would make good use of it.

Cliff H. said:
I would plan on doing more than one bird. You will be amazed at the flavor and the wish you had done more than one.

I cannot bring myself to reuse the oil. Its a big waste so I would make good use of it.

That's a good idea, considering it will only take about an hour or so to fry it....great idea!! Thanks

My .02 is if you're just looking for a couple times a year a cheapy is fine BUT.....

Look through different styles and choose whichever one has the best and strongest rack for the turkey frame and hook to lift it out with...(the hook strength being the most important) I doubt the burner quality will make that much difference on limited use.

After your turkey cook you will find yourself experimenting with the cooker. Sometimes I pull mine out when doing "Q" and fire it up for deep fried vegetables...(awesome side dish)... the most use mine gets is filled with water and cooking corn-on-the-cob.....fires out a batch of corn in no time flat! Works great for lobsters and steamers too.

Added tip through experience..... put something under cooker to catch any spilled oil...as much as you try to not spill or boil over, there will probably be some. I have a 24"x24" metal pan sold for under your car in a garage to catch dripping oil from a car that I use under mine.

And I'm sure you know and most do...... but for those who don't and haven't seen or heard the horror stories...only use FRESH or COMPLETELY THAWED birds/food in your cooker.......frozen things WILL explode! into a flaming grease fire!!!

I followed someones advice many years ago concerning storing used oil. I stored a cast iron pot full of oil covered in the fridge for about a week.

Needless to say moisture got in there and when the next fish fry began so did the fireworks. When it was all over there was oil dripping from the ceiling.

Cliff

That would have been a sight to see -- from a distance. What did the lady of the house have to say?

Griff

A.B.'s Gear for Your Kitchen, page 29:
"As of the writing, UL. Underwriters Laboratories does not certify any propane turkey fryer rig that I know of. That's because they're dangerous. They tip over, they cause fires, and let's face it, it's tough to get rid of several gallons of fry oil after one use. I would nver fry a turkey anyway. Even if it actually tasted good, which I don't thinkt it does, too many accidents happen".

The book also the terracotta smoker rig in it.

Just some food for thought.

Oil...

How many uses can you get from say...your one pot?
Where/how do YOU usually dispose of the oil?
If I want to store the oil, after the cheesy cloth filter...how or what should it be stored in?
Say I have half a pot of oil and need to add more...can I mix used with new?

Well my old blacksmith horseshoeing bbq and chili cook pal fries turkeys for half the yups in this part of the county. He has em on a 30 min schedule to show up with a cardboard box and some newspapers to pick it up when it gets close to T-day. He say to use the cheapest grease you can find and when it gets to looking bad throw it out and get some more. Thats the best way to handle it.

bigwheel

timroy said:
I wonder who might sell most of all the things you are looking for? The right kind of pot will allow you to steam, boil and fry. Get a burner large enough to support various size pots, stainless might be nice. Don't forget the gloves to protect from burns. The indoor turkey fryer is electric and can be use to fry just about anything. I believe it will hold up to a 12lb bird. Injectors are available in a variety of price ranges. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

Well it took you long enough.... :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom