tried some different beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
... called Anasazi beans. ("Anasazi" is the name given to prehistoric Puebloan Indians who lived in the 4-Corners area. Archaeological finds of stored beans show that this same kind of beans has been grown in SW Colorado for 1,500 years.)

anasazibeans1.jpg

anasazibeans2.jpg

They're similar to pintos except for a mealier texture and a sweeter taste. They cook in 2-3 hrs without soaking. And the compounds that cause flatulence are present in much smaller amounts.

I cooked a batch with smoked ham hocks, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. They're good, worth keeping. Not much like pintos, but that's kinda what they look like cooked. The distinctive coloring pretty much blends together. Next time I'll kick the recipe up with some peppers. Link.

--John

A friend from New Mexico sent me a bag of them a few years ago, They were good

I've cooked them too many times to remember. They are my bean of preference.

That said, thanks for letting the secret out :x :LOL:

I read an article recently that said the more beans you eat, the more your body will build up an immunity to farting. I told that to my wife but warned her the testing stage might be tough for her!

Well as usual I'm forced to agree with ya. Thats why Tex Mex folks who eat beans for every meal since they was weaned dont have as much fun with flatluence as them who are unaccoustomed to dealing with them very often. We had a real smart dentist on another list named Kit Anderson who did some extensive research on the topic. According to Kit it all has to do with certain partly indigestible simple sugars called Oligosaccharides. If you eat beans often enough it teaches your body to digest em. Plug his name into Google sometime along with the word "beans." Bet you will get a few hits...bunch of recipes etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligosaccharide

bigwheel

We ordered up a bag of them and had tonight for dinner. Cooked up with ham hock, onion, garlic, S&P. They are definately different- when cooked, they look like a big black eyed pea and taste like a cross between pea and bean except sweeter than either. So different, I'm not sure what I think yet, but really glad I tried them and recommend you do. Next up, we'll try some as baked beans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom