Toyota Comparison - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Toyota Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagoncook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
You guys obviously haven't heard about the new KID in town! Nothing but Toyotas in this driveway! And yes before any naysayers, this new Tundra is indeed a true FULL size truck that outranks any truck in it's class!


Anyone have the popcorn emoticon available????
Sorry Larry, I aint bustin on your Toyotas, but you say they make a true fullsize truck? Do you have a new tundra that I could hook my 35' tandem dual 20,000# GVWR trailer too, I have a load of logs I need to haul half way across the state. If Im really nice I will try not to overload the trailer with about 30,000# of Hardwood....

My wife has been looking at the Nissan so called fullsized, it may be her college graduation gift... Biggest reason she is looking at Nissan is for the fact that her brother is a Master Nissan mechanic.
I didn't want to hijack Bubbas thread, but I just want to defend CW's post about hooking this and that up!

Hey CW I specifically said "in it's class". In otherwords put a comparable Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Nissan toe to toe with the new Tundra and then lets compare. Click Toyota Comparison it will clear up any misconception of peoples thoughts of whether the new Tundra is a true full size truck or not! [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]
__________________

__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Cooker


 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 240
WHat?

You bought a WHAT?????
Smoke On!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Smoke On!!!!!
www.kickassbbq.com
kickassbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Cooker


 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 240
Toyaata

Maybe they stopped running before they got that far in the testing.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!
__________________
Smoke On!!!!!
www.kickassbbq.com
kickassbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Oh my the haters are coming out of the wood work! I bet neither has ever owned a Toyota to have the opportunity and pleasure to drive such an unreliable vehicle, but they still bash them. I laugh when I run into a Ford or Chevy owner and they say, nothing will out last a Ford or Chevy, mine has 300K miles on it, and only 150K of that are on the new motor! Toyotas have proven their durability and reliability over the years and non-owners always tend to continue to bash them cause it's a Japanese company. Regarless, I consider myself fairly a smart man and I work hard for the money I earn and consider a vehicle purchase an investment. So I'm gonna spend my money on something that's gonna last and be reliable on the original motor/trans, as well as provide Americans with jobs! Don't hate the new Toyota because of it's superior quality, design, engineering and performance over all the other "comparable" trucks!!
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
BBQ Centralite
 
Diva Q's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 3,379
I have driven both Toyotas and Fords.

My preference is still with Ford.

My current Ford has 222000 on it and it has the original engine. Other than brakes and regular maintenance nothing else has been done to it.

I guess I am a Ford lady.

My previous truck was a Red Ford Flare Side Sport with extended cab and i loved it. Ran forever. The only reason I bought another was with 3 kids I needed more room and I didn't want to drive a minivan yet.
__________________
________________________________________

www.DivaQ.ca

Life is too short for bad BBQ

Generously sponsored by:

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Big Rock Brewery
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Alcan
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bruce B's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Utica, MI
Posts: 6,758
I have to join Larry. not so much in his praise for Toyota, though I've never owned, I would probably praise it if I had.

It's humorous that people will still accuse some of not buying American or insist that "so called" American vehicles (Dodge, Ford, Chevy) are superior to "so called" Japanese vehicles. If that is the case, explain why Ford Motor Co. is in danger of going out of business, why is GM in danger of losing it's perennial place atop of the auto industry (if it hasn't already), why Daimler/Chrysler can't get anyone to buy it's company; Dodge can't sell it's Dodge Ram trucks and is going to one shift at the Warren Truck Plant, right here where it's assembled (Puff's home town).

It's because they do not build a superior product, this coming from a Dodge Ram owner by the way who just loves that 12mpg city, compared to other companies. Their labor costs are driving them all to extinction and pricing them out of the market.

I've never owned a "foreign" vehicle before, but I will not hesitate to look at them when it comes time to turn in my Dodge.

I truly believe that we are witnessing the end of the American Automobile industry. It's not Ford, GM or Daimler/Chrysler that is building new auto plants in this country, witness new Toyota plant in Tupelo, MS.; no it's companies like Toyota, Nissan, Honda...and why, and why are they all building in the South...THERE IS THE KEY TO THE WHOLE PROBLEM and when you answer that question you solve "The Big 3's" problems.

Just my .02 worth folks.
__________________
Bruce
Treasurer, Great Lakes BBQAssociation
www.glbbqa.com
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
BBQ Central Pro


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 999
The commercials that toyota has on tv, was built with the use of ford trucks to haul equipment and materials to the site. That to me is ironic as hell.
__________________
Spicewine Turbo 2007 model
Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
DaleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Q
I have driven both Toyotas and Fords.

My preference is still with Ford.

My current Ford has 222000 on it and it has the original engine. Other than brakes and regular maintenance nothing else has been done to it.

I guess I am a Ford lady.

My previous truck was a Red Ford Flare Side Sport with extended cab and i loved it. Ran forever. The only reason I bought another was with 3 kids I needed more room and I didn't want to drive a minivan yet.
Diva let me clarify, I don't mean Fords/Chevys aren't good trucks. Nor do I mean they won't last several hundred thousand miles if properly taken care of. I think the overal quality and reliability with a Toyota is unsurpassed buy any car maker. This is just my opinion. I have had all Toyota trucks since 1990, all over 150K, without a single repair on them other than routine maintenance. I never needed to add a drop of oil and they all ran as well as they did the day I bought them. My brother drives 200+ miles a day round trip to work and has gone through 3 Corrollas and one Tercel all with over 300K miles on them without a single repair other than routine maintenance.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
007bond-jb's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Baton Rouge La
Posts: 6,428
I got a 06 Chevy Vortex Max 4x4 with 4:10 gears & the Vortex Max preformance package, It'll burn the tires till ya let off. My son has a OBDII tuner with definition files on his laptop we reset the top speed govener to the tires speed rating, turned off the traction controll & torque management. We can tweek the fuel & timing curves, shift points & anything else the computer controlls as well.
__________________
BBQ Shaken Not Stirred
He who don't cook, better not complain
Why limit happy to an hour
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer


BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Cooker


 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 240
WTF?

Maybe the reason our motor companies are in trouble is because people buy foreign products instead.
Go Figure!!!!!

Buy American and keep our money here. What's left of it.

Nobody should complain about jobs and money going overseas if we got that stuff in our driveway.

Good vehicles, you bet they are. But, they ain't Americana, even if they shipped the parts over here and we assembled them.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!
__________________
Smoke On!!!!!
www.kickassbbq.com
kickassbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
Wizard of Que
 
DATsBBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Galveston TX
Posts: 1,763
I'm on the Toyota bandwagon. Have a 4-runner. Had one problem early on. The drivers side mirror cracked. Full replacement, no charge even though it was technically glass. Wife had a Celica GTS new off the showroom. Sold it ten years later and only had to put tires, oil, and a battery into it over the years. Think she put close to 170K on it when we finally sold it (not a good car for the snow), but any rear wheel drive hot rod has that problem.
DATsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #12
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Re: WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq
Maybe the reason our motor companies are in trouble is because people buy foreign products instead.
Go Figure!!!!!

Buy American and keep our money here. What's left of it.

Nobody should complain about jobs and money going overseas if we got that stuff in our driveway.

Good vehicles, you bet they are. But, they ain't Americana, even if they shipped the parts over here and we assembled them.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!
Ed, Ed, Ed. Most of the so called "Foreign" vehicles you're referring to provide thousands of jobs to Americans HERE in the US to be assembled and maintained. Most of the so called "American" vehicles you're referring to provide thousands of jobs to Mexicans in MEXICO and Canandians in Canada. Think about the Blue Collar guy working in a plant here in the US building Toyotas the next time you buy an "American" car.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
Larry,

I got your back.

I purchased this diamond in the rough over five years ago. It's a 1982 model ( The year I graduated from High School ) and it had 52k miles on it. I gave $1,500 for it and it had brand new tires.

I bought from an old man who was the second owner. He had it for about 12 years and he put 13k miles on it according to the title. Today it has 78k miles on it.

The truck came from California, I am assuming that is were the bullet hole in the passanger door came from.


I have replaced a lot of parts that had gaskets or other rubber components simply because they were wore out. Once I replace the starter I should be good to go for another 300k miles, give or take 50k.
__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H.
Larry,

I got your back.

I purchased this diamond in the rough over five years ago. It's a 1982 model ( The year I graduated from High School ) and it had 52k miles on it. I gave $1,500 for it and it had brand new tires.

I bought from an old man who was the second owner. He had it for about 12 years and he put 13k miles on it according to the title. Today it has 78k miles on it.

The truck came from California, I am assuming that is were the bullet hole in the passanger door came from.


I have replaced a lot of parts that had gaskets or other rubber components simply because they were wore out. Once I replace the starter I should be good to go for another 300k miles, give or take 50k.
Cliff that is a classic and I'd love to have one of the OLD Toyotas like that one. If that truck has the old 22R or 22RE motor in it, you can't kill it and it wll indeed last forever!!! That bullet hole adds character as well!!
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
Its the 22r and the bullet hole has been a great conversation piece.

I know of people who have purchased bullet hole stickers to put on their vehicles.
__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #16
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H.
Its the 22r and the bullet hole has been a great conversation piece.

I know of people who have purchased bullet hole stickers to put on their vehicles.
Then it's gonna last and last and last!!
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
Cooker


 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 240
Glad

I am SO glad that we DO assemble those cars. I worked in a factory ALL MY LIFE on assembly lines.
I am just talking about ALL of the money made from them goes overseas.
That's the problem. I do not complain about it.

I buy American because those boys and girls are on assembly lines, too.

Smoke On!!!!!
__________________
Smoke On!!!!!
www.kickassbbq.com
kickassbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #18
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Finney's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
Posts: 8,563
Ed you're a little of the mark with your remark.

The big 3, (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) all have plants or vendors here in the US to manufacture major components and small parts for their vehicles.
They are the reason that many US manufactures of automotive parts are still in business.
Many of the foreign auto makers require that their vendors locate within so many miles of their plant so that parts will not be delayed by shipping. That boosts the area economy even further in the areas that the manufacturers locate.

US automakers put themselves where they are today. Poor quality, and internal looting by company execs has been the down fall of a once great industry.

Finney (Automotive Designer)

Support a Southerner......... Buy Toyota (or Nissan, or BMW, or Mercedes, etc)
__________________
Chris

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #19
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Re: Glad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq
I am SO glad that we DO assemble those cars. I worked in a factory ALL MY LIFE on assembly lines.
I am just talking about ALL of the money made from them goes overseas.
That's the problem. I do not complain about it.

I buy American because those boys and girls are on assembly lines, too.

Smoke On!!!!!
Ed you're baffling me buddy?? How does ALL of the money go over seas if the Americans assembling them and running the assembly plants are making a living in AMERICA for producing the vehicles? Sure a huge profit goes to the Japanese, but you are also supporting your fellow Blue Collar American by buying the vehicles, thus giving them a job to produce more. Unlike the labor funds involved in most of the so called "American" cars that are being assembled in other countries. Too bad those "American" auto manufactuers CHOOSE to have their product made in another country to save money, rather than building the so called American vehicle in America to support it's own Americans. There's more hard earned American sweat on my Toyota than there is on your Ford or Chevy and more of my money into Americans pockets!
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #20
Cooker


 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 240
OK

You guys are right. I just buy American when I can.
Have a GREAT weekend.
Smoke On!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Smoke On!!!!!
www.kickassbbq.com
kickassbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×