tilapia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
I love tilapia. It has the same texture and taste as flounder. They are great on the grill, great pan fried, great stuffed great any way you can cook them!

Nick Prochilo said:
I love tilapia. It has the same texture and taste as flounder. They are great on the grill, great pan fried, great stuffed great any way you can cook them!

Then why not buy flounder? :roll: It's cheaper... at least here.

A lot of fish has been frozen in (or brined with) a saltwater solution and I think that affects the texture.

Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:

Then why not buy flounder? :roll: It's cheaper... at least here.

A lot of fish has been frozen in (or brined with) a saltwater solution and I think that affects the texture.

Not here!

I made some last week for the wife. Put them in a glass dish and put Zesty Italian dressing on them. Bake in the oven for a few minutes covered and WALLA. Good stuff.

tilapia is great, we bake it all the time. It's real good with some ground crackers (like ritz) mixed with a little lemon juice and grated onion spread on the top and baked.

My parents love tilapia. They put it in foil packets with butter, lemon pepper and a little lemon juice. Sometimes they pan fry it and they've also cooked it similar to Bill's way.

I haven't tried it.

Fried and baked a bunch of it. The thicker fillets will dry out quickly. Good firm fish fillets.

Love tilapia with anything citrus. I even had it witha hollandaise sauce once it was quite lovely.

I buy it by the case from the Asian markets.

I don't particularly care for tilapia... doesnt have enough "fish" taste for me...

I did some catfish this weekend... egg wash, breaded in flour, grated parmesean cheese, and Dizzy pig Shakin the tree, fried it up golden brown... twas gooood.

personally I prefer salmon on the grill with Tone's Lime pepper seasoning. I tried it with a free sample of Wolfe rub citrus a couple of months ago.. but aparently Wolfe Rub cirtus development has gone no further cause I haven't gotten a new sample :(

Pan fried Tilapia last week, dusted in flour, then dipped in egg wash, then into the Panko bread crumbs; pan fried in canola oil. Real good, very mild tasting white fish.

Only bad rap I heard about Talapia is like the lady say..it aint got much flavor. Sorta bland but totally un-offensive ala un-assertive. When it comes to rolling in cornmeal and throwig in the hot grease it dont stand a chance when compared to fresh caught Crappie...but then not much of anything else does either. I participated in that scientifical test as one of the eating judges.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom