Thiis weeks project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I’m making Canadian and Pea meal bacon. It will brine for a couple of days and I will be smoking it Friday.
So anyone in the neighborhood let me know if you want samples.

We are also doing strawberry Jam, if the berries are in a the farmers market.

brian j said:
the canadian part sounds good, but what the heck is pea mole? sounds like something my dog likes to hunt for. :eek:
Pea meal bacon is a pork loin that is cured but not smoked. After it is cured it is rolled in cornmeal/peameal and then sliced and fried with some butter. Its good for breakfast or on a sammy with lectuce and mayo. It's found up north in Ontario.

I made some pea meal bacon a while back, it was very good fried or cold on a sandwich.
What is the difference between the pea meal and the Canadian as far as cooking, I thought they were pretty much the same?

I think Puff is in the neighborhood, what do you think Dog man? 8-[

Puff said:
I made some pea meal bacon a while back, it was very good fried or cold on a sandwich.
What is the difference between the pea meal and the Canadian as far as cooking, I thought they were pretty much the same?

The pea meal is just cured and not cooked. Whereas the Canadian bacon is cooked during the smoking process. Much like smoked Polish Sausage. I like to fry the Canadian bacon in butter and have it on top of a bagel with cream cheese.

wittdog said:
Puff said:

The pea meal is just cured and not cooked. Whereas the Canadian bacon is cooked during the smoking process. Much like smoked Polish Sausage. I like to fry the Canadian bacon in butter and have it on top of a bagel with cream cheese.
The pea meal I made was cured and cooked, I think either Pigs on the wing or Oompappy made it that way.

Puff said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:

The pea meal I made was cured and cooked, I think either Pigs on the wing or Oompappy made it that way.
Oopappy is a combination of pea meal and Canadian Bacon and I might try doing some that way.

wittdog said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:

Oopappy is a combination of pea meal and Canadian Bacon and I might try doing some that way.
So to make just Canadian Bacon, how would I go about that?

Puff said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/v ... orum=bbq4u
I posted the recipe in the Pork section but if you smoke it that low you need to use the nitrates. IMHO you need to use the nitrates to get a "traditional canadian bacon" taste. The nitrates do change the flavor of the finished product.
The recipe is posted in the pork section. Put you need nitrates If you are going to smoke it at that low of a temp.

wittdog said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:
http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/v ... orum=bbq4u[/url]
I posted the recipe in the Pork section but if you smoke it that low you need to use the nitrates. IMHO you need to use the nitrates to get a "traditional canadian bacon" taste. The nitrates do change the flavor of the finished product.
The recipe is posted in the pork section. Put you need nitrates If you are going to smoke it at that low of a temp.
[/quote:ssehlkev]

Thanks bud :!:

The bacon has been on since 8:00 at 11:00 it's time to introduce it to the smoke.
The bacon after drying for 3 hrs at 130*

My pit master in training preps the saw dust.

The wood pan is in and the bacon will smoke for 4 hrs.

I also have some ribs on Buford. 2 smokers going and I almost fired up the WSM for some Butts

Green Hornet said:
Kids get the coolest shirts. I can never find one in an adult size :!:
My wifey wouldn't let me wear it anyway :)
My wifey made one for me and has fabric to make some more. GH check out the Adventures in Heat web site I know George sells them at the store.

The CB got finished last night and we had some for Breakfast with Bagels and cream cheese. It came out great. John Pen has a sample of both the peal meal and the CB. I’m sure he’ll let you know how it was. We also picked up 1 and ½ flats of strawberries today to make jam.

wittdog said:
The CB got finished last night and we had some for Breakfast with Bagels and cream cheese. It came out great. John Pen has a sample of both the peal meal and the CB. I’m sure he’ll let you know how it was. We also picked up 1 and ½ flats of strawberries today to make jam.

Looks good wittdog!!!
Nice color inside and out =D>
Now, go cook somethin' will ya.. :grin:

oompappy said:
wittdog said:

Looks good wittdog!!!
Nice color inside and out =D>
Now, go cook somethin' will ya.. :grin:
Mrs. just took the kids to AIH for some father's day shopping. =D>
I'm still try to figure out how to do the butts Low and Slow on WSM or the 5 hr kind on Buford........

We are making strawberry Jam and doing 2 butts on the WSM
The boys Jamming

1 and ½ flats of berries Jammed

Hmmmmm sugar and berries

No pics of the butts, I ran into some issues with the start of the cook and if I was to discuss it here my language would get colorful and this post would get deleted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom