thermometer features inquiry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
When you build the better mouse trap (therm) let us know....sounds like something we've wanted for a long time.

bknox said:
How about having the jacks for the probes come out of the top instead of the bottom. It seems a bit awkward when they are coming out of the bottom to me.

or maybe even rubberize the entire piece and leave a door of sorts where the temp probes plug in, something that is water resistant at least

Hello gaylon & welcome, I am a comercial HVAC & energy management contractor, Systems like you are looking for allready exist & are use worldwide, Do a google search for TCS controls. It will read temps & transmit over wifi or any internet connection to a PC equiped with proper software, alarms can be set & it can send mesages to cell phones.
It aint cheap but it can monitor a unlimited amount of sensors & temp probes & do many other things as well. We can remotely turn on/off & make ajustments to lighting, HVAC systems, burglar alarms & it can be used to start your dishwasher or any appliance you have connected to the system.
Other simple systems are also avalible, this will get you started:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... tId=197827

I like the idea of having the therm probes plug into the top of the unit. Also, have them longer and more durable. The Maverick leads are so short.

Gaylon,

To some extent, it sounds like you're talking about the NU-701. But it has weaknesses. Among other things, it's not small enough to ride on your belt well, the base units are not at all weather resistant, and they operate on a very limited frequency range, and are very susceptible to interference -- especially from other NU units.

So far the suggestions have been (1) Grill capable probe and leads. A thing you may have planned for already.
support a variety of probes
(2) Easy access jacks, (3) More robust weatherization (actually the ET-73 is pretty good). And (4) better access to controls. The screw on the back of the ET-73 is a bit of a pain.

All of these ideas are good ones, IMO. I'd also like to see (A) Easier programming for the alarms -- the ET-73 will only allow you to program in one direction. (B) Automatic search when the signal is lost. The ET-73 usually makes you turn the units off and on to reacquire a lost signal. (C) Leads sealed into the probes, so the probes can be easily cleaned. "Dishwasher safe" would be ideal. (D) Keep the remote unit small enough to carry on a belt clip.

Given all of this, including a four probe capacity and three included probes (1 (1000 deg) grill capabple, 1 meat, 1 chamber), I'd be willing to go a couple of hundred. But considering that's the price of 5 ET-73s, I'm not sure how many other people would. And, as JB pointed out, there are a variety of systems already on the market -- many of them wi-fi networked -- which means the user can use a smart phone or wi-fi PDA as a remote. FWIW, you could order a "Stoker" base unit; add a cheap access point; pick up a 12 V power supply from Pep Boys, and for less than four hundred -- there you go. Hell, with a repeater you could probably get 1000' of range.

Which leads to another consideration. At the price point a limited production run will put you in, you'll be competing with the Stoker and Guru. You may want to consider fan-bellows control as well.

Lots to think about. Good luck and keep us posted,
Rich

I just want one that isnt a piece of junk...every digital probe that I have ever used to monitor pit temps in my wsm has burnt out in a cook or 2..doesnt matter how I do it...in through the top vent...under the lid...as it is now I stick with my old deep fyer thermo through the top vent and just stick my meat towards the end with an analog model...though a thermopen is in my future for checking meat....though brisket, ribs, and pork are still really tested with a toothpick...

I like the cheap ones I got that are mavericks/ They have lasted the longest. I bought 7 of them and they cost 6.99 per.

Nothing special about them but they are lasting.

THe ET 73 is ok. just a higher than I would normally like to spend.

Gaylon,

You really ought to check out the NU-701 and see if it meets your needs. It's also called the PAL. More range -- even though they advertise it as less -- than the Maverick, better alarms, and the build quality is seemingly better. They definitely have their fans -- I suggest taking a look at the forums at www.virtualweberbullet.com You may even be able to find a discount. I hope so, anyway. Otherwise their pretty expensive. My experience with NUs, such as it is, is at competitions where they all interfere with one another.

To my mind, the two best choices for someone who needs a lot of probes is either a bunch of ET-73s or a Stoker. But like you said, the Stoker's a lot of bucks. As to the Mav, other than moving the antenna around in the case -- or pulling it out of the case, I'm not sure how tweakable the ET-73 is. Pretty tight in there, but maybe you can manage. It's easy to add probes, though. You just keep adding units. They don't interfere with one another. $40 for a two probe unit is a good deal. Not that it makes much of a difference, but Maverick Industries will happily sell you all the meat probes you want.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom