The Grand Canyon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
Any of you fine folks been to the Grand Canyon? The kids start spring break in a few weeks so we are loading up the motorhome (I hate to think about the gas) and heading out from Southern California on the 22nd. We are going to stop in Vegas for one night so the kids can see it then it’s off to the Grand Canyon. We’re staying at Mathers camp ground on the south rim and I’ve read good things about it. Would love any info others may have about the campground and perhaps other things to do while visiting the canyon and yes, I will be grilling plenty O good things. Thanks in advance.

Not sure when they are doing it, but soon they will be releasing
horredous amounts of water from mead and flooding the canyon
to epic levels.
Something about rebuilding all the sandbars and other stuff.
Would be seriously cool if you're there when it happens.
Take lots of pics :D & have a safe trip!

I've been 3 times, hiked halfway down twice (just enough to see the river)...the third time I hiked about 1/5 of the way down on the Bright Angel Trail and went back up. Good thing cause 20 minutes later it down poured for 2 hours. Layer if you're going to hike. Pack some cheapy ponchos, lots of water, and snacks. Nice a cool at the top and hot while hiking down, although unsure at this time of year. Twice I camped there and once hoteled it in Flagstaff. Hoover Dam!!?? Sorry if it stuff you already know...better safe than sorry! Right!?

Toby keil said:
Any of you fine folks been to the Grand Canyon? The kids start spring break in a few weeks so we are loading up the motorhome (I hate to think about the gas) and heading out from Southern California on the 22nd. We are going to stop in Vegas for one night so the kids can see it then it’s off to the Grand Canyon. We’re staying at Mathers camp ground on the south rim and I’ve read good things about it. Would love any info others may have about the campground and perhaps other things to do while visiting the canyon and yes, I will be grilling plenty O good things. Thanks in advance.
Screw the price of gas. When is the next time you can spend this kind of time with your family? Just do it. I know you will, way too much fun. Have a great time. :D

We were out there a couple of years ago and took a tour to the Hopi reservation and visited a village that has been continuously inhabited for 1000 years. If you want to gain a real appreciation of our life style or make sure your kids have it, it's a great place to visit and not too far from the canyon.

When in Vegas think of me because I help build alot of that town with donations at the tables :oops: Hover Dam is spectacular. While your there think about how those guys built it back in the 30's.

Tannehill Kid said:
When in Vegas think of me because I help build alot of that town with donations at the tables :oops: Hover Dam is spectacular. While your there think about how those guys built it back in the 30's.

I saw a video on the History channel of the construction a while back, It was wild too

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions on things to see and do while visiting the Grand Canyon. I’m bummed we missed the flooding of the canyon, that would have been really amazing to see but oh well. We will definitely do some great hiking, catch the early morning sunsets, I’m sure see some spectacular sunsets and spend some great family time together. I will be grilling using my Weber Go-Anywhere gasser (sorry charcoal fans) so I’ll make sure to get a few pictures. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom