That Bold Renegade Carves a Q with His Blade - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Smoker

That Bold Renegade Carves a Q with His Blade

My favorite cooking and 'Q tools are my knives. As you may or may not have guessed I'm a bit of a knife geek.

Anyone else? What do you have? What do you want, realistically? What would you buy if you hit the Lotto? What do you hate? How do you keep yours sharp? Anything you want to know?

Rich

Klose Steak Grill with Swing Set
Backwoods Fatboy with DigiQ II
Other Stuff
boar_d_laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

The collection of knives I have are not very impressive.
I have a few that are my favs that were given to me by a family friend.(German steel)
One question. I'd like to know of an affordable, good quality knife set that someone that didn't hit the lottery could afford.
I use a stone and a hone to sharpen.
Thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #3

I have heinkels. the mid grade ones from Kohls.. I shapin them with a weird thing made for gardening shears and then a knife sharpener rod thing.. I like knives too. I would buy a set of good buther shop knives for sure!!
surfinsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Rag
BBQ Centralite

I use Henkles (for 20 yrs) and they are ok. About a year ago I bought a Forschner chef style, recommended buy a magazine staff test, for less than $20 (not exactly lottery money) Other than being on the large size for general whacking and cutting I like it better than the Henkle products.
For sharpening I keep an edge with a steel. But steels seem to wear out too quickly for me. I now have a DMT diamond coated steel which quickly looses it's abrasive feel after a few uses (this is misleading) but still cuts metal nicely. However, if my edges are not maintained (allowed to get over dull) I, up until a couple of years ago, re-establish an edge with water stones. The secret to success with stones is to maintain a PERFECT angle with the knife....quite hard to do.
Sharpening is very critical for my tools in the wood shop (plane irons, chisels, etc.) and therefore I bought a Tormex water wheel sharpening system. You can make razor blades on this thing. So when edges need to be re-established I go to the Tomex (now we are approaching lottery money).
So, with the knives I have, and the shapening system used, I get by better than most, but not at boar_d_laze level.
Everybody now fast asleep?
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #5

Not sleeping at all! Thanks for the info
Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 AM   #6

I've got some Wusthof Trident knives some Bucks & Rada cutlery knives I use the Rada more than the others due to the ease of re-edgeing. I have a Chef's Choice mod 120 sharpener.
Here is a super artical on Knives & sharpening:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer

BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Saint O'Que

I have one "good" knife made by Wusthof. A 7" something santoku Classic with the hollow edge thing. I love it....my only regret is not buying the Asian set they offer. I just need to find a smaller pairing-ish knife and I am done.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
Smoker

Everyone seems to love the Forschner Fibrox and Rosewood series (same blade). I've got a four rosewoods. A straight parer, a drop point parer, a tournee and a fillet knife. I keep the fillet, which is super flexible in my block. The smaller ones are scattered strategically.

The fibrox handles dominate the meat industry and are very popular in commercial kitchens too -- it's one of the few blades worth resharpening that comes on a handle that can go into a commercial dishwasher, at a reasonable price. Because I don't have to worry about dishwashers or theft, I prefer the rosewood. You can keep the handles looking good forever with a little mineral oil three or four times a year.

If you're shopping for something interesting and idiosyncratic you could try Warther. They are very hip. Good knives too.

I'm not familiar at all with JB's Rada knives. They look interesting.

The rap on all of these compared to more expensive Euro styles is that they don't have bolsters. Personally, I don't think that's a big deal as long as the knife balances right for the way you hold and use it.

I'd be careful about using a diamond steel as a "steel." The purpose of steeling is edge straightening and repair. Diamond steels are awfully aggressive and remove a lot of material, ultimately messing up your knives. An extra-fine or "glass smooth" steel is much better as long as it's harder than your knives. Take a look at the steels at HandAmerica, and see what you think. http://www.handamerican.com/steel3.html

For the life of me, I can't figure out what the big deal is about santokus. But people really love them, especially women. Maybe it has something to do with hand size. Helen, if I were going to pair a parer with your Wustie I think I'd be looking at two Forschner Rosewoods. One, a straight paring knife for food, and one for string, cryovac packages and other utility work around the kitchen. For a Few Dollars More, get a Forschner for the utility stuff, and a Thiers Issard stainless paring knife. Very nice.

I've had Chef's Choice machines. They're as good as machines get. In fact pretty much everything from Chef's Choice is great. I switched back to stones partly because I wanted to be able to control the bevels, and because I wanted more control of degree of polish on the edge. Different bevels and polishes for different knives. It's a geek thing.

If I were recommending a sharpening method for someone who doesn't want to pay for a Chef's Choice machine. and who doesn't want to learn to freehand, but is willing to use a steel regularly, it's the "crock stick" systems from Spyderco and Lansky. If you're not willing to use, or don't want to learn how to use a steel properly you might want to look at the Chef's Choice "pull through" sharpener and steel. If you don't care about handing your knives down to your children and just want something easy, check out the Chantry. It will eat your knives, but they'll die sharp by God.

Rich

Klose Steak Grill with Swing Set
Backwoods Fatboy with DigiQ II
Other Stuff
boar_d_laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:19 AM   #9

The Radas are a high carbon, stainless steel. They are easy & quick to resharpen with radas knife sarpener.
http://www.radakitchenstore.com/Product ... CH_ID=R119
They are razor sharp & very cheap, I use my Radas more than any other of my knives
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer

BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #10

I have an assortment of Henkle knives that I pick up from time to time when I catch them on sale. My favorite cutting tool is this one.

It was my great grandfathers. Take a look at the serial number.

And of course the Henkles

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote