TexLaw and Woodman - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2005, 11:13 AM   #1

TexLaw and Woodman

TexLaw and Woodman, did either of you guys have your Klose 20x36" pits tuned and do you find that the shorter 36" length is a problem because of the hotter area near the firebox? I looked at Klose and GatorPit as well as Lang back before I bought my WSM but couldn't justify the cost without knowing anything about BBQ but I'm still interested in offsets.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #2
BBQ Centralite

Bill, they don't really tune the shorter pits. Now Ritchie may dispute this cause I think he does. Yes, you lose about 8-10" of cooking area off of that end. I put a cake pan full of Dr Pepper, Water, or ginger ale there. It is a good spot to crisp or quicken up some items. That is why I would not recommend going with less than a 42" pit. It only costs about $100 more to add length (oh, that that were true ). Always look at something larger than what you think you need. I can reasonably do:

3 large briskets and a butt or,

about 8-9 butts or,

about 7-8 racks of whole spared (overlapped)

Ill be sellin her next month for $ 800 Bill. That's a overall savings of $350 off of current pricing, plus anyone up here would also save about an additional $200 in shipping if ya pick it up. It is 1 year old and in good shape. Tryin to get Rempe to go for it, but he doesn't have what it takes to tend a log burner I think!
Woodman

Old 01-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #3

Yeah, I remember something about Dave not tuning his shorter pits but he would do it if you pressed him to. I think Dave was charging $100 a foot. I like the idea of a mobile pit but I would like the upright chamber as well as at least 4 feet of pit (3' usable plus the crisping area you mentioned). Maybe one of these days...

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

I really want that Taylor Made R7 Driver that came out late last year to replace the Taylor Made driver I bought two years ago, which replaced the Cleveland Driver I had and used for less than one season three years ago. Then I realized that maybe it wasn't the equipment that was the problem and instead of spending all that money on new equipment I should maybe learn how to play better golf with the equipment I already own.

HELL no, it has to be the equipment.
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B
I really want that Taylor Made R7 Driver that came out late last year to replace the Taylor Made driver I bought two years ago, which replaced the Cleveland Driver I had and used for less than one season three years ago. Then I realized that maybe it wasn't the equipment that was the problem and instead of spending all that money on new equipment I should maybe learn how to play better golf with the equipment I already own.
Bruce, why don't you have an ECB then ??
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well, I had one years and years ago, got frustrated with it, quit smokin', then got back into it a couple years ago after I found the WSM.
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
BBQ Centralite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
I just about agree with you, Bruce. However, I upgrade my Q when I got my Klose. However, I was using a Weber kettle for BBQing everything, so there wasn't much room to go down. Still, I learned how to help that baby give me some good stuff, so moving to a stick burner was like a dream.

TL
TL, shhhhhhh! You gottawatch the Webber digs over here. These guys don't know they're cookin on inferior equipment. shhhhhhhhhh
Old 01-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #8

Thanks TexLaw. I think that's the 1st time I recall someone not recommending a larger pit than you think you'll need. I don't think I'll ever compete or get into the catering business either but I know that there will be times that I need more than 30". I had thought that the upright section with the baffle would be good for cold smoking (using the rods for hanging sausages, etc.), holding food and cooking more than will fit in the chamber when the baffle is removed. Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice.

BBQ101, I'd be interested in hearing more about the pro's and cons on the Lang also.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #9

BTW, found a pic of FATZ's pit over here. Now THAT's the kind of pit I'd really like to have...Maybe just a bit longer though.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
BBQ Centralite

He'll sell it to you.............for $7,500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!