Tamales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Today was tamale making day…we used a mix of chicken and pulled pork…..
Soaking the husks

The meat

In the steamer

Well I love tamales and highly admire anybody who is a big enough glutton for pumishment to make them theirselves. Good job!!

bigwheel

Yum! Looks good.

I've been dying to get that tamale machine for about a year.

But I'd get killed if I brought that home.

Oh no, I'm drooling again.

I made both chicken and pork tamales three weeks ago. I find that you want to either: make your own rendered manteca (lard) , or , go to the local mercado and buy the "real" stuff (the unfiltered brownish grey stuff!) I also use black beans, or chorizo and queso fresco (Mexican farmers cheese kind of like feta) As fillings. If you have a tortillaria in town, ask them to sell you fresh masa for tamales *you have to specify this because the grind is different. I find that fresh masa (which is perishable, but can be frozen) is far superior to the dry version. Now that we have so many hispanics living in America, just about every major city has a tortilla factory! You can get the masa for a buck a lb or so. Also, if you can ever find bananna leaves, you can make some killer "dinner size" tamales that are square and larger. Mmmmmmm! Bananna leaf turkey tamales with a good mole is KILLER!!!! They are not as much work as you think and the result is wonderful Mexican "comfort food"

Hey I have made em several times and yes..they are way too much trouble to mess with making them yourself. Little mass production place down here sell em for two bucks a dozen..minimun 12 dozen..or that was the price last I checked. Aint grand prize winners but are surprisinly edible. Now anybody who goes buying a moochine to make em they dont count as ho made. Factory made flour taurpolians is a crying shame. Person needs a mamacita with a wide coola to make them thangs right.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom