Stuffed Calabasas aka Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I had these a few weeks ago. A guy from Bethlehem mom made them so I figure I would give it a try.. They are a Mediterranean dish I guess. I modified a Turkish recipe.. Here's what I used and did...
I took about 13 small squash called "Calabasas" and cored them out to stuff them... I then took 1 lb of ground beef and browned it with some olive oil. Then added 2 medium yellow chopped onions & some " 7 Spices" don't ask what is in that... 2 tablespoons of chopped up dried currants. Once it is all cooked down I added a cup of "Balsamic Rice". Added a cup of water and simmered. Added more water and simmered more until the rice was soft.. Added salt to taste.. Could have used more salt.. Took the stuffing and stuffed the squashes... Placed them into a small pot with the cut side up and added a 1/2 cup of water and steamed them for 30 minutes... Let them cool off to room temp before eating... These are really awesome side dish... I have more ideas for these in the future... Enjoy the pictures and video!!!

Regards,
S.S,

[youtube:2qmhv7so]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI3lq_sfb-4[/youtube:2qmhv7so]

SANY0061.JPG

SANY0062.JPG

SANY0063.JPG

SANY0067.JPG

SANY0070.JPG

SANY0072.JPG

SANY0073.JPG

SANY0075.JPG

SANY0078.JPG

SANY0079.JPG

SANY0081.JPG

SANY0084.JPG

SANY0086.JPG

SANY0087.JPG

Yumm looks real good,
Ain't made zuccini boats in few years. They simular but with italian flavored stuffin, its easyer to scoop out the pulp from zuc's cut lenthwise

Those look really good SS and I agree with Smokey Lew that some ground lamb may bring a really nice flavor to that dish. Great vid and thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom