St Pat's fare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
We're not Catholic, and only a little Irish, but it didn't really matter as we dove in to tonight's homemade corned beef with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Definitely good eats and it will be reubans for lunch and hash and eggs for breakfast the next few days. :D :D My wife, a southern bell, who never had real corned beef until she met me now says "you can't cook too much corned beef" - I agree. I'll make up a new batch soon and make some into pastrami using Wittdogs recipe.

Mmmm Strammi's is soo good. I been baking corn beef in the Oven instead of boilin em, Way better flavor you can roast the veggies in there too. I like cabbage stewed with tasso mmmmmmmmm goooood eatin

You wouldn't boil ribs would ya ;)

Dang Boy...I woulda guessed that dry roasted sto bought corned beef come outta there a little on the salty side..but guess not since you doing it thataway. Swear hanging out around here is like going off to cooking school.

bigwheel

007bond-jb said:
Mmmm Strammi's is soo good. I been baking corn beef in the Oven instead of boilin em, Way better flavor you can roast the veggies in there too. I like cabbage stewed with tasso mmmmmmmmm goooood eatin

bigwheel said:
Dang Boy...I woulda guessed that dry roasted sto bought corned beef come outta there a little on the salty side..but guess not since you doing it thataway. Swear hanging out around here is like going off to cooking school.

bigwheel

007bond-jb said:

No Sarge, rinse it off in the sink 1st Boy ;) comes out great

Well fact is I tried that a time or three (even soaked it overnight a few times) and it still too salty for me. Got to bile it in copious amounts of water to get that salt outta there. Sorta like a country ham. Now maybe they don't make em that salty anymore. Aint bothered to buy one since old Shep was still a pup. They prob have it on sale by the ton over the next few weeks. Apparently them Irishmen get drunk on St. Paddy's day and forget to go buy one...so that leaves a lot unsold. Might buy one just to test the hypothesis..but it gonna have to be real cheap. Thanks for giving me such a brilliant idear. If it come out too salty I will mail it to ya by parcel post Boy. :LOL:

bigwheel

No Sarge, rinse it off in the sink 1st Boy ;) comes out great[/quote]

bigwheel said:
Well fact is I tried that a time or three (even soaked it overnight a few times) and it still too salty for me. Got to bile it in copious amounts of water to get that salt outta there. Sorta like a country ham. Now maybe they don't make em that salty anymore. Aint bothered to buy one since old Shep was still a pup. They prob have it on sale by the ton over the next few weeks. Apparently them Irishmen get drunk on St. Paddy's day and forget to go buy one...so that leaves a lot unsold. Might buy one just to test the hypothesis..but it gonna have to be real cheap. Thanks for giving me such a brilliant idear. If it come out too salty I will mail it to ya by parcel post Boy. :LOL:

bigwheel

No Sarge, rinse it off in the sink 1st Boy ;) comes out great
[/quote]

I did one 1 time that did come out too salty, I don't rember what brand it wuz, The last one I done was Moser brand? speeling not rite but close.
I got it at wal mart

Ok I keep an eye peeled at Wal Mart. I am in one nearly every day. Gotta make sure Osama or Obama aint in there causing mischief ya know?

bigwheel

Had a super Reuban sandwich for lunch today - several layers of thin sliced corned beef, good kraut, Ohio Amish baby swiss, homemade Thousand Island dressing (close enough to russian for us), and rye bread - grilled in butter. Made me think I was back in the north.

Good Lawdy Miz Claudie...you throwing a powaful Reuben craving on me here Boy. That is krewlish and unusual punishment. Dudja didn't even treat the Ragheads down at Gitmo is such a shameful fashion. Guess I best send the warden out to buy one. I run hot and cold on the thousand island dressing. I just about as soon have mustard..depending on the brand of dressing. They got a big sandwich shoppe over at Central Market where they use sour dough bread and some kinda chipolte mayonaisse stuff. Makes it taste real funky. I finally showed em how to make one last time I was in there. Exchanged the sour dough for rye and got rid of the special sauce and used mustard instead. It was a whole nother ball game on the mo betta side. Actually I should send a bill for teaching em a thang or two.

bigwheel

big dude said:
Had a super Reuban sandwich for lunch today - several layers of thin sliced corned beef, good kraut, Ohio Amish baby swiss, homemade Thousand Island dressing (close enough to russian for us), and rye bread - grilled in butter. Made me think I was back in the north.

Well I love Kimchi like a hawg loves slop but everybody know you got to have sour kraut for Reubens. Have the Kimchi for dessert..midnight snack or something.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom