St Pat's fare - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Graduate of BBQ Central


 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greenback, Tn
Posts: 617
St Pat's fare

We're not Catholic, and only a little Irish, but it didn't really matter as we dove in to tonight's homemade corned beef with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Definitely good eats and it will be reubans for lunch and hash and eggs for breakfast the next few days. My wife, a southern bell, who never had real corned beef until she met me now says "you can't cook too much corned beef" - I agree. I'll make up a new batch soon and make some into pastrami using Wittdogs recipe.
__________________

__________________
East Tennessee = Almost Heaven South
Klose offset pit
Stumps Classic
Cabela gas vertical smoker
Ducane gas grill
http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/
big dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
007bond-jb's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Baton Rouge La
Posts: 6,428
Mmmm Strammi's is soo good. I been baking corn beef in the Oven instead of boilin em, Way better flavor you can roast the veggies in there too. I like cabbage stewed with tasso mmmmmmmmm goooood eatin

You wouldn't boil ribs would ya
__________________

__________________
BBQ Shaken Not Stirred
He who don't cook, better not complain
Why limit happy to an hour
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer


BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Moderator
 
wittdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Seneca NY
Posts: 9,860
We smoked ours yesterday along with some Griff Loaf for sammies later in the week
__________________
Save the gas for the criminals Q with wood...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Dang Boy...I woulda guessed that dry roasted sto bought corned beef come outta there a little on the salty side..but guess not since you doing it thataway. Swear hanging out around here is like going off to cooking school.

bigwheel



Quote:
Originally Posted by 007bond-jb
Mmmm Strammi's is soo good. I been baking corn beef in the Oven instead of boilin em, Way better flavor you can roast the veggies in there too. I like cabbage stewed with tasso mmmmmmmmm goooood eatin

You wouldn't boil ribs would ya
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
007bond-jb's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Baton Rouge La
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Dang Boy...I woulda guessed that dry roasted sto bought corned beef come outta there a little on the salty side..but guess not since you doing it thataway. Swear hanging out around here is like going off to cooking school.

bigwheel



Quote:
Originally Posted by 007bond-jb
Mmmm Strammi's is soo good. I been baking corn beef in the Oven instead of boilin em, Way better flavor you can roast the veggies in there too. I like cabbage stewed with tasso mmmmmmmmm goooood eatin

You wouldn't boil ribs would ya
No Sarge, rinse it off in the sink 1st Boy comes out great
__________________
BBQ Shaken Not Stirred
He who don't cook, better not complain
Why limit happy to an hour
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer


BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Well fact is I tried that a time or three (even soaked it overnight a few times) and it still too salty for me. Got to bile it in copious amounts of water to get that salt outta there. Sorta like a country ham. Now maybe they don't make em that salty anymore. Aint bothered to buy one since old Shep was still a pup. They prob have it on sale by the ton over the next few weeks. Apparently them Irishmen get drunk on St. Paddy's day and forget to go buy one...so that leaves a lot unsold. Might buy one just to test the hypothesis..but it gonna have to be real cheap. Thanks for giving me such a brilliant idear. If it come out too salty I will mail it to ya by parcel post Boy.

bigwheel



No Sarge, rinse it off in the sink 1st Boy comes out great[/quote]
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
007bond-jb's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Baton Rouge La
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Well fact is I tried that a time or three (even soaked it overnight a few times) and it still too salty for me. Got to bile it in copious amounts of water to get that salt outta there. Sorta like a country ham. Now maybe they don't make em that salty anymore. Aint bothered to buy one since old Shep was still a pup. They prob have it on sale by the ton over the next few weeks. Apparently them Irishmen get drunk on St. Paddy's day and forget to go buy one...so that leaves a lot unsold. Might buy one just to test the hypothesis..but it gonna have to be real cheap. Thanks for giving me such a brilliant idear. If it come out too salty I will mail it to ya by parcel post Boy.

bigwheel



No Sarge, rinse it off in the sink 1st Boy comes out great
[/quote]

I did one 1 time that did come out too salty, I don't rember what brand it wuz, The last one I done was Moser brand? speeling not rite but close.
I got it at wal mart
__________________
BBQ Shaken Not Stirred
He who don't cook, better not complain
Why limit happy to an hour
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer


BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Ok I keep an eye peeled at Wal Mart. I am in one nearly every day. Gotta make sure Osama or Obama aint in there causing mischief ya know?

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
Graduate of BBQ Central


 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greenback, Tn
Posts: 617
Had a super Reuban sandwich for lunch today - several layers of thin sliced corned beef, good kraut, Ohio Amish baby swiss, homemade Thousand Island dressing (close enough to russian for us), and rye bread - grilled in butter. Made me think I was back in the north.
__________________
East Tennessee = Almost Heaven South
Klose offset pit
Stumps Classic
Cabela gas vertical smoker
Ducane gas grill
http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/
big dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Good Lawdy Miz Claudie...you throwing a powaful Reuben craving on me here Boy. That is krewlish and unusual punishment. Dudja didn't even treat the Ragheads down at Gitmo is such a shameful fashion. Guess I best send the warden out to buy one. I run hot and cold on the thousand island dressing. I just about as soon have mustard..depending on the brand of dressing. They got a big sandwich shoppe over at Central Market where they use sour dough bread and some kinda chipolte mayonaisse stuff. Makes it taste real funky. I finally showed em how to make one last time I was in there. Exchanged the sour dough for rye and got rid of the special sauce and used mustard instead. It was a whole nother ball game on the mo betta side. Actually I should send a bill for teaching em a thang or two.

bigwheel


Quote:
Originally Posted by big dude
Had a super Reuban sandwich for lunch today - several layers of thin sliced corned beef, good kraut, Ohio Amish baby swiss, homemade Thousand Island dressing (close enough to russian for us), and rye bread - grilled in butter. Made me think I was back in the north.
__________________

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.