Spyware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
Dat's posted a question in another forum, and I responded with my input as an IT Tech... Thought I'd share it here too.

Here's some simple, FREE effective Spyware/Adware/Malware tools that I'll recommend:

They all have different heuristic characteristics that they pick up on...so I recommend running them all at least every 2 weeks.

ALSO ... There are many programs that "CLAIM" to be the best solution to spyware/malware/adware....but some actually infect your system. A good check point is here.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Don't get suckered in by a pop up that looks like an official looking windows panel that says "Your Windows Registry is corrupt. Repair Now?" NO !!!!!!!!!!

I made the mistake of the
Don't get suckered in by a pop up that looks like an official looking windows panel that says "Your Windows Registry is corrupt. Repair Now?" NO !!!!!!!!!!
. Messed up my computer so bad that I had to have it formated and everything reinstalled. SUCKED.

Ewido became part of AVG 7.5 Anti-Malware. I used it for a couple years, alongside AVG Anti-virus, when they were both free. I liked both of these Grisoft products enough to spring for a paid subscription when AVG 7.5 was introduced.

Another caution about the anti- whatever programs -- do not be tempted to buy a software suite that does it all. Companies that got famous for a single product that was good at a single task, such as McAfee and Norton, branched out into the do-it-all suite business. The suites don't "do it all" as well as individual specialized applications (aimed at a particular kind of intruder) can do their specialized jobs. What they do do, almost better than anybody, is hog resources and slow down your computer. You'd think they were Microsoft or something. :P

--John 8)
(If you're on a broadband hookup, you also need a firewall. I still like ZoneAlarm Free. They have a suite too. Avoid that.)

Unity said:
Ewido became part of AVG 7.5 Anti-Malware. I used it for a couple years, alongside AVG Anti-virus, when they were both free. I liked both of these Grisoft products enough to spring for a paid subscription when AVG 7.5 was introduced.

Another caution about the anti- whatever programs -- do not be tempted to buy a software suite that does it all. Companies that got famous for a single product that was good at a single task, such as McAfee and Norton, branched out into the do-it-all suite business. The suites don't "do it all" as well as individual specialized applications (aimed at a particular kind of intruder) can do their specialized jobs. What they do do, almost better than anybody, is hog resources and slow down your computer. You'd think they were Microsoft or something. :P

--John 8)
(If you're on a broadband hookup, you also need a firewall. I still like ZoneAlarm Free. They have a suite too. Avoid that.)
AMEN Brother!

D. Harris writes: He's about as useless as a screen door on a submarine. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Now thats funny, I can just picture a cajun submarine engineer buildin a sub wit one on it.

D.Harris said:
Is anyone here familier with an Apple iMAC? Thinking about going that route on my next computer, which won't be long. Hear they are less likly to get viruses and so forth. Seems things are more compatable with both systems nowadays. Also have a slightly used brother-in-law I'd like to get rid of, I believe that is where most of my computer problems originate. He's about as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

Mac's are great. PC's load things as they need them and tax the system as it happens, Mac's analyze the config at boot and load what's appropriate. Yeah Mac's can run Windows s/f, but ...

It depends on what you're really after in a computer. If you want a simple, easy to use, hassle free computer....get a Mac.

NO this will not turn into a Mac vs PC thread. :evil: There is no winner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom