Spares vs Baby Backs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max1

Head Chef
I just want to see everyone's opinion on the subject, I don't think it has been asked yet.

Me personally I like regular spares with a St. Louis cut to them. Baby Backs just do do it for me, I mean they are good because I made them and I am the best Pit Master in the World ( according to me. )

So what is everyone opinion? I leave it to you!

I like spares over BB's because they taste better to me and they are cheaper. I don't bother cutting them St Louis style but will trim up the thinners flaps of meat. With that said I haven't made BB's in over a year so I will probably do some in the near future for a change of pace.

Spares with the St. Louis cut for me. More meat than baby backs.

Let me see ... my bride like BB so I guess I like BB. I really do like BB and find them much easier to prepare, no St. Louis trimming. I do like the cheaper price on spares.

Spares. Trimmed or un-trimmed. Trimmed, you get that "extra" of the rib-tips for the pitmaster's snack, or added to beans/etc.

More flavor in the spares, too.

I also like the price mo-bettah than the high price of BBacks.

BOB

While mostly advertised as BB's, I like 3 lb Loin Backs! Lots of meat and no waste xcept for the bone...
dj

Had an old cooking pal who specialized in the loin backs from Sams. Tell everybody they was BB's just like at the rib joints. Heck some of them pass off spares as BB's. There is some ingenious entrepreneurs out there in the world huh?

Hey Puff what if I stopped off into LazyBones? Any discounts? LOL! I am about 2 hours from there, want to try your ribs see if you can walk the walk brother....

Last edited:
Holy moley! (I wanted to say holy shit!) Well the ribs I cook in a "Raunt" setting are pretty much what is set in stone as far as that goes.It's not cookin' a few slabs on a Sunday while sittin' back enjoying a few cold ones. (which I dearly miss)
Guess I outa' change my place of bizzness on the old profile.
Moved up in the world. I'll keep ya' posted.
Stay humble my friend. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom