sous vide cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondman

Cook
Has anybody out there tried sous vide water bath cooking.If you have what did you think of it.I've tried it with some diy equipment.I kinda like it. Of course I won't give up my smoker.

Gotta be really careful doing this method........unless you have the right equipment I wouldn't even attempt depending on what you cooking......

Check your bookstore's magazine rack for Make magazine volume #25 (http://makezine.com/ ). There is an article in there on building your own sous vide cooker for about $75 in parts. I just got the magazine last week and I'm trawling Amazon and Ebay for parts right now. The magazine may not be on the newsstand yet as I only just got the on-line version.

I did a 1 inch ribeye the other day as an experiment. I used my crock pot set with an external thermometer to 144 degrees. Let it go for two hours in the vacuum bag.
I took it out to a flat iron on the gas grill cranked to smoking and rapidly seared the steak on both sides with salt and pepper.
The steak turned out almost black and crispy for the first 1/8 th inch on both sides, and the rest was perfect medium rare.

I have no complaints.

I dunno. Just can't get into this. First of all, Nebraska health inspector says this is a no go. Second, I can grill a perfect ribeye in about 8 minutes. Sous vide cooking is a fancy name for boiled meat.

I clicked on the link..but got busy on the vinegar and baking soda cannon. Didnt see nothing on Frenchie crock pot cooking.

I've had the shi...STUFF. Nice, really appealing GREY color all the way through. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

No thanks. I'll continue to cook food the correct way. No water baths at all 'round here.

Turns out I was wrong about the health code on sous vide. You can cook food this way, just not reheat it. Bob your comment reminds me of that commercial with the 2 dudes grilling veggie burgers;
"You think they're done?"
"I dunno, is grey done?"
"God, I hope not."
Beef. It's what's for dinner.

You might try Harry Soo's Web site. Slap Ya Daddy BBQ. He messed with it quit a bit

Casey

Back
Top Bottom