Somethings wrong here....... - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Graduate of BBQ Central

Somethings wrong here.......

There is something that has been bothering me. I stopped by Chili’s a few nights ago to get some take out for my family. As I stood there waiting for my order, I noticed that the waiters and waitresses were bringing out plate after plate of ribs. Now in my opinion Chili’s ribs are not that good. So what has been bothering me is why would people go to Chili’s for ribs and people who have a BBQ joint where they serve real low and slow cooked BBQ ribs, struggle to find customers? Something about that seems so wrong. What do you think?

Rubs so Good, They're better than Ketchup!

http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq
ddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Pope O'Que

Re: Somethings wrong here.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog27
There is something that has been bothering me. I stopped by Chili’s a few nights ago to get some take out for my family. As I stood there waiting for my order, I noticed that the waiters and waitresses were bringing out plate after plate of ribs. Now in my opinion Chili’s ribs are not that good. So what has been bothering me is why would people go to Chili’s for ribs and people who have a BBQ joint where they serve real low and slow cooked BBQ ribs, struggle to find customers? Something about that seems so wrong. What do you think?
Marketing....
I'd go with that....look at Applebee's commercials with their whatever you call em riblet things. Show em over a fire, glazed with sauce, etc they look pretty dang good!..that's what most people are use to seeing, especially if they are not into Q

SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Smoker

I want my baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back....ribs.

It has absolutely nothing to do with taste. If the advertisment sells the idea that these are the best ribs, then the general public will agree and won't even try the small BBQ joint's ribs, and often when they do try them, they will convence themselves they aren't as good as Chilis because they wouldn't want to buck the trend. (sheep) [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://home.comcast.net/~volstew
(3)WSMs, 22.5" CharBroil kettle,
4'offset (gave away after 1st WSM cook)
Rockin Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #4

doods, 90 percent of the public have never tasted real bbq ribs or bbq at all for that matter. When serving to the public, it's a sauce contest.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
BBQ Central Pro

Sauce contest! Well put Captain!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
Wizard of Que

Kinda want to chime in on the Chili's thing. From what I can see the ribs are polular, but not everyone at the table wants them. Usually one or two people. The variety of the menu works in that restaurants favor, as opposed to the more singular "Rib Joint" where everyone better want BBQ or else!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
doods, 90 percent of the public have never tasted real bbq ribs or bbq at all for that matter. When serving to the public, it's a sauce contest.
Not only the sauce, but most folks dont have an idea what Que that would win a comp should taste like ( Im not sure I do..lol ). Some of the crappy stuff I made on the Brinkman a few years ago when I was starting out was enjoyed by my buddys just as much as my good stuff now. I used to make ribs in the oven ( Tony Roma recipe ) and finish them on the grill. They are good and fell off the bone. My daughter prefers them to ones done in the smoker and requests them cooked that way all the time.

The local "smokehouse" in town here has pulled pork thats dry. But people love it and rave about it...go figure !!
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
God O'Que

This is why the private catering arena is wide open in this area of the country. People think the crap they get from most commercial places are great so when you show up with the real thing...you are a bbq genius...and they'll tell their friends about it. Word of mouth advertising is slower but much more effective for ths type of thing. As I jump into this arena this year two things come to mind quickly:

Don't skimp on quantity or quality...only give them what you would be proud to say is yours'. Send them away stuffed.

Don't underprice what you give them. I'm arrogant enough to know my bbq is really good and if you don't want to pay for...go to Chili's...I don't care...you'll come back and the price will be higher.

"I'd rather be dead in my skin than be a fan of a Redskin."
Uncle Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well put Unc....
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
BBQ Central Pro

Most everyone I know thinks that if the ribs dont fall off of the bone they are no good. I have served spares right beside babybacks, and they go for BBs everytime.
Forgive them fore they do not know what the hell they are doing.