Some Katrina musings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I'm stuck home with an intestinal flu and so have been over dosing on CNN coverage. Several things have occurred to me.

Looting -- I have some real mixed emotions about the looting. My first thought "shoot 'em, that'll stop it". Then again to the extent that these are people who have lost everything and are stealing goods that are just going to be put in the trash when the water recedes and the clean up starts, it is hard to object.

Cost -- I'm not taking any kind of political position here, just curious. I wonder how the cost of clean up and rebuilding compares with cost of the Iraq war.

New Orleans -- I now know that the city is built below sea level. But how did that happen. I mean I'm sure no one said "Hey, let's build some dikes and then build a city below sea level." What's the history here ? How did this happen ?

Global warming -- I do believe that the increased frequency and severity of tropical storms is another spin off of global warming.

Just some random musings.

Griff

Rebuilding New Orleans ain't the smartest thing. A stronger hurricane may hit there next year, or even later this year. But it will be done. There's plenty of money ready to buy that property and build new homes.

Looters: Stealing water, food, etc, let em go. It's survival time, and you'd do the same. those that are roaming the streets with guns, firing at the police stations and helicopters....kill them.

It can be rebuilt with solving the problems. First when you build a dyke, try using a product called CEMENT! It has a tendacy to with stand being run out by water, dirt doesn't. As far as looters go, hay, the food and water and diapers won't be salvagable with insurance companies, take what you need and share with all you can! But TV's, computers and electronic stuff, you have no home, no electric....nothing! Shoot the idiots who steal this stuff!

Why don't some of you who live in near by states offer to house some family who needs your help. Someone has to do something since the government screwed up starting with the evacuation plans.

You know Bryan, you may find that it was just that simple.

You can't really be amazed by this, anymore than you can be amazed at all the development that continues to occur on the Gulf Coast, and for that matter, any coast. Homes and hotels that were destroyed last year in Ivan in Gulf Shores are being rebuilt. Homes previously destroyed on the East coast are rebuilt. Why, because people own that property and government really can't stop them from building. They have insurance and they''ll roll the dice.

There comes a time though, I think, when I am going to stop feeling sorry for some of these people who continually rebuild and then lose their homes to hurricanes again and again. Fool me once shame on you......

...Fool me twice, shame on ME!!! [-X [-X [-X

As my Dad puts it..."It's the price you pay for living in paradise!"...hmmmm, if the price is how it looks in NOLA...C-Town is paradise for me and so would DEEETROIT for that matter! 8-[

I agree...why rebuild, move to Nebraska...they have corn! :D

I also stand corrected. I said no one in the world would help us. I do feel better now. I pay taxes that are way, way to high so we can help
countries all over the world with economic aid, disastor aid, military aid.
And then I see this.

50+ countries have offered aid thus far
In an accelerating drive, more than 50 countries have pledged assistance in connection with the Hurricane Katrina disaster.
The offers blur political lines. Cuba and Venezuela, for instance, have offered to help despite differences with Washington. Oil giant Saudi Arabia and tiny countries such as Dominica are among the nations making pledges.
Australia announced a donation of $8 million to the American Red Cross. "The United States is so often at the forefront of international aid efforts to help less-fortunate nations," Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said. "So it is only fitting that Australia should contribute to the daunting task of helping the thousands of American citizens whose lives have been thrown into turmoil by this unprecedented disaster."
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said State Department officials are evaluating offers of hurricane relief from the international community.
"The State Department is coordinating closely with the Department of Homeland Security to match these offers of support with the needs on the ground," Miss Rice said.
She said the United States had turned down no offer of assistance from overseas, but is being deliberate about how it accepts offers.
France, "determined to show its solidarity with the United States," offered a range of aircraft and two ships, with helicopters and planes capable of airlifting tons of supplies, a disaster unit with 20 soldiers, a civil defense detachment of 35 persons and an airborne emergency unit, the French Embassy said.
The French city of Orleans is rallying to help its American namesake.
The city plans to donate money raised from ticket sales at local sports matches to help hurricane victims in New Orleans, city officials said. Orleans and its university also have offered to take in 50 students from the University of New Orleans for the school year.
Orleans, 75 miles south of Paris, is best known as the city saved by Joan of Arc. In 1429, she and her troops freed the city from a siege by the English. New Orleans was founded in 1718 by French settlers and named after the Duke of Orleans, who was regent of France at the time.
Japan said it would contribute $200,000 to the American Red Cross for its relief operations. Upon request, Japan is prepared to provide up to $300,000 worth of tents, blankets, power generators, portable water tanks and other equipment, the Japanese Embassy said.
By yesterday, offers had been received from Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Belgium, Britain, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jamaica, Jordan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, the Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and Venezuela.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom