Smoking on a Kettle - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 08:18 AM   #1

Smoking on a Kettle

I brought this over here to find out more on this subject and not to drift from Bruces post...

[quote=Kloset BBQR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Niagara River Smoker":2xij645c
Seems like alot of work. To keep the temps in the 225 to 250 degree range, you have to add a small number of coals every hour for the duration of the cook. Log burners might not mind but that's exactly why I love my WSM and BBQ Guru.
Bill, using the rotisserie ring on my kettle I've been able to smoke three racks of ribs on a single chimney of charcoal (a four hour cook).[/quote:2xij645c]

Kloset, you lay the racks flat, right? If so, why the rotis ring? Also, I have the Weber rotis setup and a 22" Platinum...The ring doesn't fit very snug and it seems that holding low temps would be hard because of the loose fitting ring. Could you explain in more detail how you do yours? Pics would be great too if you have some.

Discussion "on this subject" is also welcome from others that have done this.

(Greg or Bruce, please move this to the Grilling Forum... )
Old 04-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #2

I will say this....while I haven't tried traditional q meats like ribs or butts on my kettle, I was very impressed by getting a little smoke ring from just a few chunks of wood when I cooked indirect. I got some on the meatloaf and on something else..the broil?

I'm sure it can be done, but I would think the WSM is easier and probably gets a smokier final product.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
BBQ Centralite

Bill, I use a rib rack. I haven't experienced any heat loss from the ring. I like using the ring because it gives my grill added height which allows for more room for the smoke to circulate around the meat and stay in the kettle longer before it exits the vents. I have found that I have more temp control for smoking with the ring on than with it off. With the ring off, I get higher temps closer to 300, with it on I can maintain temps of 225-250 with the vents about 1/2 way closed which allows the fuel to last longer.

Sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment. I did this mainly for experimentation. I also have two WSM's and a Klose smoker. In the winter time I can't fire up the Klose, but the Webber Kettle works great (for small cooks) even in 30 degree temps.

The other reason I liked using the Kettle for the ribs is that when the ribs were done I could sauce them and then grill them directly over the coals.
Great carmelization effect. Makes for a sticky crispy exterior and a moist smokey interior with a good smoke ring.

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
BBQ Centralite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
I will say this....while I haven't tried traditional q meats like ribs or butts on my kettle, I was very impressed by getting a little smoke ring from just a few chunks of wood when I cooked indirect. I got some on the meatloaf and on something else..the broil?

I'm sure it can be done, but I would think the WSM is easier and probably gets a smokier final product.
I'd agree with you Captain that the WSM is the way to go especially for butts and briskets. But for those that only have a kettle, it can be done (smoking) especially for smaller cuts like ribs and chicken. I can't think of a more versatile product then the Weber Kettle and the WSM expecially for the money.

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 04-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloset BBQR
The other reason I liked using the Kettle for the ribs is that when the ribs were done I could sauce them and then grill them directly over the coals.
Great carmelization effect. Makes for a sticky crispy exterior and a moist smokey interior with a good smoke ring.
That's why I'm interested in this method. I use racks in the WSM but I find I have to cut the racks in half so I don't overcook the end ribs. I like the idea of being to lay the whole rack out for saucing and setting, so I think I'll give it a try.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #6
BBQ Centralite

Bill,

The nice think about using the rib racks in the Kettle is that you've got more room for the ribs. One the WSM I usually have trouble with the ribs touching the sides. That extra 4" is a big help. Make sure you use some sort of wood chunks or chips on the coals though to get sufficient smoke to produce the smoke ring.

I used soaked hickory chips in an aluminum foil pouch, cut holes in the top of
the foil pouch and then placed the pouch directly on the coals. The wet chips, I've found produce more smoke than try chips. The pouch keeps them from bursting into flames. I made two pouches for my cook, using about three cups of hickory chips.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 04-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloset BBQR
Bill,

the foil pouch and then placed the pouch directly on the coals. The wet chips, I've found produce more smoke than try chips.
Produced more smoke or steam? I've always worried about that. There's a chance that steam could prohibit smoke from getting to the meat. Ever tried dry chips in the foil?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
BBQ Centralite

[quote=Captain Morgan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kloset BBQR":1sndgvfe
Bill,

the foil pouch and then placed the pouch directly on the coals. The wet chips, I've found produce more smoke than try chips.
Produced more smoke or steam? I've always worried about that. There's a chance that steam could prohibit smoke from getting to the meat. Ever tried dry chips in the foil?[/quote:1sndgvfe]

Captain,

You name it, I've tried it chunks both dry and moist, chips dry and moist, and I found that the soaked chips method (soak about 3 cups of chips for about an hour, squeeze out excess water and divided chips into 2 pouches) works best. I put the foil pouches dirctly on the coals and then cover with the Kettle top. I don't add the meat until I see smoke coming from the vents. I am sure that by the time the chips are smoking any steam is neglible. I place the meat over the aluminum drip pan on the opposite side of the coals and chips. The dry chip method I found did not produce as long a smoke. I even once tried to soak the chips in Jack Daniels but that was just a waste of good whiskey. Got better results by putting it in the sauce. To me this is the fun of BBQ, the experimenting and eating the results. Whether I've used dry or wet chips it's alwas produced a very edible product with good smoke rings.

I do want to emphasize that this is not how I normally do ribs. I just kind of stumbled upon it over the winter and had very nice results with it. In the summer I'll usually smoke the ribs on an offset smoker or on my WSM but I can't get the pit or the WSM up to temps in the winter here so this kettle method was a good winter alternative for me.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 04-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #9

Yeah I tried some Jack Daniels wood chips, and couldn't discern any flavor in the meat. Now if someone ever smokes me, they'll probably get a strong Jack Daniels flavor in the meat!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Yeah I tried some Jack Daniels wood chips, and couldn't discern any flavor in the meat. Now if someone ever smokes me, they'll probably get a strong Jack Daniels flavor in the meat!
LOL!! I really meant it ~ I smoked some hash...What's not BBQ realted with that???