Smoker Purchase Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I would skip the insulting jacket. Upside barrell works much mo betta. Place to keep it where nobody know whut it is and outta the weather. If it comes a blizzard leave the barrell on it whilst you cook. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Update: I just found a 55 gallon metal drum that is food grade at a 20 min drive from here for $12!!!

I am stoked. Next issue will be finding a place to burn it out, then getting it back to my folks house for assembly.

Man...I love how being from Mississippi means it's always 100 degrees and are land-owning foresters. :)

seriously though, I have some places...had I done this while in college I would hve had 80 acres to burn. The people in my church have some property, but my folks are in the county too.

A few questions while before I start:

is there a place with good instructions that aren't 1,000 pages of pictureless forum post?

Do I need additional vents or just he weber lid (which lid is this exactly?)?

How do I make the circular fence thing in the charcoal grate?

Tri tips build looked great: where are your plans? (blatant theivery)

bigwheel said:
Well I would skip the insulting jacket. Upside barrell works much mo betta. Place to keep it where nobody know whut it is and outta the weather. If it comes a blizzard leave the barrell on it whilst you cook. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Hay Jeff, Didn't Buzz Dean use a 30 gallon drum to cover his WSM in the winter?

Pigs

Nick said:
Man...I love how being from Mississippi means it's always 100 degrees and are land-owning foresters. :)

seriously though, I have some places...had I done this while in college I would hve had 80 acres to burn. The people in my church have some property, but my folks are in the county too.

A few questions while before I start:

is there a place with good instructions that aren't 1,000 pages of pictureless forum post?

Do I need additional vents or just he weber lid (which lid is this exactly?)?

How do I make the circular fence thing in the charcoal grate?

Tri tips build looked great: where are your plans? (blatant theivery)

First off have it sand blasted. There is a powder shop on every corner out here. You can get it blasted and then spray paint the outside yourself with High Temp paint. Grill grates are from a weber kettle. Your nuts and bolts should be stainless. If I get home prior to sundown I'll take a pictures of mine. It's literally self explanitory after that. Otherwise I'll post some picts this weekend. I burned min out with a weed burner than hit it with a grinder. This was a 4+ hour task and my lungs are nice and black with soot from the burn and the grinding. Depending on the lining a burnout with logs won't work. Also the police helecopter in my beautiful neighbor hood would have shut that down. With the touch I just shut it off and ran inside when I herd him comming. ;)

I went and picked up the drums (assembling 1 for now). I have been under the weather and havent gotten around to opening them yet- but they had fruit concentrate (yay). I went and picked up the bolts, intake equipment, step bit, and grates...

A few quick questions:

What should the grate heights be if I want 2 22.5" grates in a single UDS?

Is it necessary to get the exapnded steel firegrate welder...or can I wire it together?

Does anyone have a Weber Kettle lid they want to let loose? (Will pay if necessary - I need to measure my drum to be sure that this will fit too...)

Everybody be in prayer that I dont have the dreaded Red liner in them when I get to check today! I read up on this and someone said it is a phenolic resin (sp???)...so I googled it and the resin is fire retardant up to like 750F for extended periods of time. If I dont have that liner, I will probably burn...if I do, then I will price some sandblasting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom