Smoked Steel Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
This was a fun project. I have plenty more to do along with some salmon. Got a friend that is a fishing freak (like SS ;) :LOL: ) He gives me half after smoking. I think it's a fair deal. Done in the gas box.
img_175196_0_f11530cedb02ea50274238ccad558bc8.jpg

img_175196_1_b28de6150b025ede2486c804dd7ff153.jpg

img_175196_2_a19296e7a58ee0bb69b2205faf11ff9f.jpg

Tasty indeed! A little "curd" on it, but that's okay.

Pigs

Steel head. I haven't heard of them since we used to fish for them during the annual run in the Sacramento River. They are between a salmon and trout. Killer grub!! I love smoked fish!!!!

Merry Christmas
smiley_emoticons_weihnachtslicht.gif

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Ifin it stays cold (and it will) I'll send ya some BOY! it's from the trout family.

Pigs

It was 35 deg the other day today its 75 deg. That typical for down here

I love steelhead fishing. They make fantastic runs and jumps when you hook 'em.They are rainbow trout that acts like a salmon and goes out into the ocean for several years before coming back to the river it was hatched in to spawn. Unlike salmon they don't die after they spawn. Our Pacific steelhead have a pinker flesh.

Pigs those look good. Do yours taste like a mild salmon?

Steelhead are Rainbows that have hatched in the river and out onto either (in this area) lake Erie or Lake Ontario. They are one of the toughest freshwater fish out there. They put up a hell of a fight. You use light line (4-6lb test) or fly lines. They are a blast!! I practice catch and release.

They taste like crap and most are heavily laden with mercury. But people like them smoked. You can smoke a toenail and make it taste good too. Give me Walleye, perch, or crappie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom