Slow Cooker Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef
Plannin on makin chili today but I want to start it this morning, allow it to cook all day in a slow cooker. I have everything I need, the question is do I just throw it all in the slow cooker, put it on low and let it do it's thing??
thanks!

Dan I'd at least brown the meat. Other than that, just throw it all in and let it rip!

We use our crock pot for chili often. We brown the meat and mix everything together then pour it into the crockpot!

If you use ground beef, brown and degrease before adding to the pot. If you use left over brisket, cook all at once. Thats what I do.

I usually just cook it all in the same large pot but I wanted to start it this mornin and let it cook all day. I'm usin 80% chuck, 2lbs, browned. Then I threw it in the slow cooker with all the other fixins. Should be ready about 5pm. And yes, I usually brown the meat with onion, garlic etc first.....
thanks again!

SteerCrazy said:
ScottyDaQ said:
If only there was some place that talked all about chili.... :roll:

Yeah, let's talk chili! :D

It's too bad there isn't web site devoted to talking about chili, like this one is to talking about BBQ, damn shame. They could even call it "lets talk chili." You would think with all the people who love chili and all the different variations and potential for lively discussions that someone would have started a board like that. Oh well.
25.gif

Bruce B said:
SteerCrazy said:
ScottyDaQ said:

It's too bad there isn't web site devoted to talking about chili, like this one is to talking about BBQ, damn shame. They could even call it "lets talk chili." You would think with all the people who love chili and all the different variations and potential for lively discussions that someone would have started a board like that. Oh well.
25.gif

The logo could look like this...

Larry Wolfe said:
Hey Dan..........where's the chili pic's???

Sorry, I didn't take any.....I figure you made fun of my 'slow cooker' earlier so I wasn't going to take any pics of it :D [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

ScottyDaQ said:
Bruce B said:
SteerCrazy said:
ScottyDaQ said:

25.gif

The logo could look like this...

Yeah..................that's the ticket.

This chili is created a little different than normal chili, very good in my opinion and you can use it as a dip also.

Good Farting Chili

2 1/2 lb Ground beef
1 1/2 Lg Onions, chopped
3 ea Cloves garlic, minced
2 T Ground cumin
3 T Chili powder
2 1/2 T Paprika
2 qt Water or bean juice
1 1/4 c Flour
1 t Cayenne pepper or to taste
2 t Salt or to taste
1 lb Red Beans, cooked; optional

Brown ground beef. When beef is cooked and browned, drain grease. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are opaque. Add cumin, chili powder and paprika; stir well. Add flour. Mix well and make sure there aren't any white lumps of flour. Then add the liquid and cayenne. Add red beans if desired. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring well. Stir often as it simmers; it will stick to bottom as it thickens. Add salt to taste and serve. The chili is the consistency of a thick gumbo and is a bread and spoon chili. If you would like to add more color to your chili recipe, add 4 more tablespoons paprika. This will give it a nice dark color, but not a tomato red.

Best when allowed to cool and refrigerate overnight; reheated and served the next day.

To add Red Beans to the recipe, either cook in the normal manner or pressure cook beans and add after last step. Use the bean juice for water to be added. If pressure cooking beans, cook for 45 minutes or until tender. I use as much water in pot as I can, so the bean juice can be added to chili. This is for 1 lb. of beans. Add the cayenne to taste.

Notes: Also I use the jumbo onions. I like onion.
You can double this recipe with equal success. Stir often as it simmers.
We also add the extra paprika. It makes for great color.
Makes approximately 5 quarts of chili with the beans added.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom