Slim Jims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef

Got a small batch of slim jim type things in the smoker…I stuffed them in sheep casings which were a pain to use, they are smaller and thinner than the hog casings I typically use….The slim jims have been in the smoker overnight at a temp of 90* I am now going to give em a light smoking and raise the temp up to 165* they will be done when the internal temp is 145* after that it’s a couple of days of drying….

brian j said:
there you go again witt... pushing the limits of bbq. i'm cooking boring butts and brisket tonight. :cry:
I got a brisket in the freezer just screaming to be cooked and the leftovers to be made into chilli...

Slim Jims are done and are now cooling...they have good flavor...just not excatly like that of a slim jim....I need to play with the flavor profile some....I think I might do another batch tomarrrow...and give it a kick with some of the ground chipolte peppers.....and a few more seasonings.....

Must have got your power back on after the storm. I might have to look into an electro, those slim jims do look good.

Tried sheep casings once. Damn things kept bursting on me. And, I am told, I'm man of patient.
Dave

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Man I wish we were neighbors!
Looks great!

Nick the slim jims taste good just not like a "Slim Jim" TM......I need to play with the flavor profile some....and then will post the recipe....Dats the Sheep casings were a pain but with a little practice they worked out.....Puff...sorry bud I already have one neighbor that drinks all my beer and shows up when something is coming off Buford or out of the oven....and I'm not even talking about John Pen :D

wittdog said:
Nick the slim jims taste good just not like a "Slim Jim" TM......I need to play with the flavor profile some....and then will post the recipe....Dats the Sheep casings were a pain but with a little practice they worked out.....Puff...sorry bud I already have one neighbor that drinks all my beer and shows up when something is coming off Buford or out of the oven....and I'm not even talking about John Pen :D
:cry: Bummer
Those do look damn good though!

Wittdog I know this has been asked but were did you get the somker at and how will dose it do with beef jerky?

the slim jim look really good ship me one. :LOL:

Wittdog,

Sure glad the wind isn't blowing out of the southwest, cause if it was, I would be gettin a wiff of those babies, and I would be on your doorstep
in a hour and half, (not including the lineup at customs) :LOL:

Doin 15 pounds of chuck and 20 of butt for a party of a 100 tonight

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom