Slaw Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's an easy simple recipe ;}-

I used this a lot in the kitchens I ran...

This is the small serving:

1-cup Mayonaise(Miriacle Whip)
1/4-cup-sugar
1/4-cup Vinegar
1-tsp.ground Celery seed
S/P- to taste
1/2-lemon juice(squeezed)
Mix and cover a head of shredded Cabbage and let set for 2-3hrs.

You can flavor from there... :)-
Stan aka Old Skool

Re: Here's an easy simple recipe ;}-

bbqfans said:
I used this a lot in the kitchens I ran...

This is the small serving:

1-cup Mayonaise(Miriacle Whip)
1/4-cup-sugar
1/4-cup Vinegar
1-tsp.ground Celery seed
S/P- to taste
1/2-lemon juice(squeezed)
Mix and cover a head of shredded Cabbage and let set for 2-3hrs.

You can flavor from there... :)-
Stan aka Old Skool

I make the same recipe except add a dollop of dijon and a 1/4 c of raisins and shredded carrot.

Yummy.

Here be the one we use, folks seems ta like it a bunch.

COUNTRY FRESH COLESLAW

1 Large head of Cabbage
1 Tbs minced fresh Onion
1 medium Carrot
1 or 2 stalks of celery
Sauce:
1 Cup real Mayo
¼ Cup White Vinegar
¼ Cup Oil
2/3 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Salt
Pinch of Celery Seed
Course Black Pepper to taste
Mix sauce then add to vegetables, stir together, if seems dry let set for awhile, will moisten up.

If I was craving slaw I would send the Warden about 2 blocks to the nearest KFC. That is the place who's founder looked a lot like DrBBQ. They make the best there is or ever have been seen on earth. I got the recipe to clone it...But whuts the use? Fact is you couldn't buy the stuff to make it except about 10 x the price of whut it take to buy some. Listen to me now. I had mushy briskets and put it on cheap white buns with KFC Coleslaw and scattered liberally with Frank's. They keep saying..Dang that the best pushed pork I ever had. lol..I like fooling dumb Texans:)

bigwheel

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Raisins in slaw? Is that legal? Might have to give that a try.

Pigs
Yeah, I make carrot raisin slaw

2C Shredded Carrot, allow to drain
1/2C thompson raisins (dark ones, not sultana), puffed and stemmed
1/3C Mayo
1T vinegar

to do the raisins cover with boiling water, let sit a few minutes, might dump and cover again with boiling water, they will swell then you take the stems out. this takes the sweetness down, softens them and makes it so you can find hidden stems. when done that squeeze the water out of em a bit by hand, even blot em dry a bit on paper towels.

can put different spices in but it doesn't really need any ... I put about 1/4t corriander in my last batch

dump the carrot juice once more or blot it a bit with paper towel then throw it all together ... keeps a few days

Shawn White said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":nsuunuhx]Raisins in slaw? Is that legal? Might have to give that a try.

Pigs
Yeah, I make carrot raisin slaw

2C Shredded Carrot, allow to drain
1/2C thompson raisins (dark ones, not sultana), puffed and stemmed
1/3C Mayo
1T vinegar

to do the raisins cover with boiling water, let sit a few minutes, might dump and cover again with boiling water, they will swell then you take the stems out. this takes the sweetness down, softens them and makes it so you can find hidden stems. when done that squeeze the water out of em a bit by hand, even blot em dry a bit on paper towels.

can put different spices in but it doesn't really need any ... I put about 1/4t corriander in my last batch

dump the carrot juice once more or blot it a bit with paper towel then throw it all together ... keeps a few days[/quote:nsuunuhx]
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Pigs

Might be too late, cabbage, dried cranberries, and Marzetti's poppy seed dressing, sweet pickles. I like That one alot

Went to KFC last night and the Cole Slaw was completely different. Don't know if was a mistake or if they have changed the recipe, hope not.

Here's the three I've settled on over the years.

Here is an unusual, but very good, recipe from Danny Gaulden. If you do not know who Danny is go to http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp. Naturally I’ve modified it to suit our taste, as I’m sure you will also as time goes bye.

Danny Gaulden’s Old South Slaw Dressing

1 tablespoons salad oil
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic

Even though we use a modified Corky's slaw dressing at the restaurant, there's one I like better. Matter of fact, it's the only one I fix here at home. I LOVE this stuff, but you may not. It's what I consider deep, old south, and what Carolyn and I had every time we went to eat at a seafood house, bbq joint, etc. in south or north Louisiana. Matter of fact, Carolyn's mother fixed a very similar recipe all her life, (she lives in Baton Rouge now and spent many years on the famous river road between New Orleans & Baton Rouge as a home education teacher). Lot of fine cooking goes on down there. Anyway, here is the recipe. It is a sweet sour mix. If you like the tart, sweet taste on your slaw, you'll love this. Nice thing about it is that you can't "over extend" this dressing. If you apply too much, it doesn’t just stick to everything and make it too wet as does a creamy dressing. It just drains down to the bottom. It will keep a couple of days or more on the slaw before crispness is gone. Don't let the simplicity fool you. I've always said some of the best cooking comes from simple recipes. This is one of them. Just takes a couple of minutes to fix. Also, don't let the looks of it fool you. Just try it and let me know what you think.

Mix well and pour over slaw. This is a small recipe and makes enough dressing for about 3-4 people. Adjust accordingly.

Vinegar Cole Slaw:

1/2 head of green cabbage
1/4 head of red cabbage
1 small bell pepper, chopped
1 small sweet onion, chopped
2 carrots, grated
Dressing:
1-cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 cup cider vinegar
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup water

Combine coleslaw, cabbage, chopped bell pepper, chopped onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl.

In a bowl combine remaining ingredients. Pour over cabbage, stir in. Refrigerate for at least eight hours, I usually go for 24 hours in a flat, covered, plastic container large enough to let most of the cabbage rest in the dressing.

Mayonnaise/Sour Cream Cole Slaw

1/2 head of green cabbage
1/4 head of red cabbage
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 up sugar
1-cup mayonnaise
1-cup sour cream
1 Tbs celery seed
S&P to taste

Refrigerate and let it sit overnight in a covered container. Blend with cabbage three hours before serving, keep refrigerated until then.

Well if yall are bent on a DIY crusade go to Kroger and buy the big bags of shredded cabbage and snag one bottle of Kroger Brand Coleslaw dressing for each bag. Or better yet read the directions on the bottle. Combine...let it sweat in the ice box for a bit. Drag it out and eat. Its a grand prize winner. Much mo betta than Hidden Valley Ranch Coleslaw Dressing.

bigwheel

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the ideas. As soon as I try a couple of these Ill get some pics up. Thanks again!

ps. 6 lb pork butt on the wsm right now at 168...gonna pull at 195 and foil for a bit. By then the keg should have a good dent in it and ill be ready to destroy a sammich or 3. :shock: :D :D :D

this one is good with pulled pork

Cabbage & Apple Slaw

½ cup sour cream

2 Tbsp Cider Vinegar

1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp sugar

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 tsp celery seed

¾ tsp salt

¼ tsp dry mustard 4 cups shredded cabbage

1 medium red apple, chopped

2 Tbsp finely chopped onion

¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper

Combine sour cream, vinegar, sugar, oil, celery seed, salt, and dry mustard in a small bowl and whisk together to blend. Combine cabbage, apple green pepper and onion in a large bowl. Pour dressing of vegetables and toss. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Toss again just before serving.

Makes 8 servings.

This is outside the box...but...

Bagged or chopped cabbage (undressed slaw)

Reverend Marvin's Original gourmet bbq sauce

Mix

Top Sammie

ENJOY!

Back
Top Bottom