Skid Row BBQ Pit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tannehill Kid

Head Chef
The name of my Sunday School class is Skid Row. The name fits most of the members pretty well. Each year in the spring we have our annual BBQ fund raiser and smoke 750 chicken halfs and sell out. Been doing it for over 25 years. Was talking to SS last night and told him I would send him pics of the pit but decided to post so everybody could see one of the pits we have. I keep this one at my house. Just had it built this past year. The cookers are 30"x10'. Fire box needs to be repainted. It will hold 150 chicken halfs in total.

Nick Prochilo said:
What's the difference in cooking temps from one end to the other?
It runs about 25 degrees different from one end to the other. Kinda suprised with that because it doesn't have plates in it.

Awesome fundraiser. We do something similar at my church. Call it Oinktemberfish. We usually feed around 150 with ribs, brisket, pulled pork and salmon. If you sell 750 chicken halves you must have a huge congregation!

monty3777 said:
If you sell 750 chicken halves you must have a huge congregation!
There are about 15 in my class and we sell tickets to the whole community. We donate money for stuff like new church bus and help families in need. It really makes you feel good when things come together and can help people. We net about 4k every year with that one project.

Fine looking pit and a hearty congrats on the fund raising efforts. I add a wow in there too. Got to agree with James B. that firebox dont need no paint..it needs to be wire brushed..wiped down and swabbed down with cooking oil or squirted with a generic version of PAM. We used to belong to a countrified Lutheran Church up in Wilbarger County..nearly all Chezk and German farmers. We was the only one in the bunch who didn't have a funny last name. They had masonry pits with metal lids which they did one fund raising cook a year. They fire em up with mesquite coals for slow direct and stay up all night tending the fires and sell bbq pork...butts and picnics. The whole town of Vernon and everybody in a 30 mile radius come out there to eat. Funded the entire church for one year along with the tithes and offerings of course. Preacher was a rich dude so he didnt draw a salary guess that help some on the budget.

bigwheel

DATsBBQ said:
Great pit, what's the tonge weight?
Don't know the exact weight but it is pretty well balanced.

Damar12 Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking good, how many chicken halves can ya put on that big thang?
Can put around 150 big halfs at a time

Back
Top Bottom