She should have gotten out of the car! - Page 4 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2005, 09:03 AM   #31
Web Celeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Z
Actually, sometimes people throw rocks and stuff at firemen while they're putting out fires---bizarre, but true!!---so don't think they get a totally free pass.

People often love their mailmen but hate post office clerks. Why? Cuz mailmen are usually nice to you and seem to be doing you a big favor by bringing you your mail, and postal clerks can give you attitude and make it hard to mail things and tell you "No, you can't do that, you taped it wrong,"etc., and there's not a darn thing you can do about it. It's similar to firemen vs. cops.

I for one salute 'em all (police officers and fire fighters and even postal workers). Nasty, dangerous jobs, and it's heartwrenching about those sad police death stats. Policemen can be truly heroic. But didja' know, too, that there have been more than 80 taser-related deaths in the last four years, with 60% of those occurring the last year? (Amnesty International follows these sorts of things, evidently.) So I hope all policemen will consider that and will use their tasers with the greatest restraint.

mm:
I agree with Susan, so it is my hope that instead of reaching for a tazer they choose the Glock 9mm and increase the death rate percentage! I would never question an officer on these events. It is rare these days to find anyone who just listens to an officers commands, unless they are in danger and then they have no problem calling them.

Instigators should be happy they were tazed instead of summarily "put down" ...which would happen with a bullet gun! If a few meet their demise from the tazer, instaed of questioning the result, why not questioin what lead up to that...at least there was a non-leathal attempt at apprehending a suspect, criminal or whatever...it just didn't work that time. Listening to the officer would have given the dead person life...their choice!

Old 06-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #32
Official BBQ Central Mark

[quote=Greg Rempe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Susan Z":iljh2r0a
Actually, sometimes people throw rocks and stuff at firemen while they're putting out fires---bizarre, but true!!---so don't think they get a totally free pass.

People often love their mailmen but hate post office clerks. Why? Cuz mailmen are usually nice to you and seem to be doing you a big favor by bringing you your mail, and postal clerks can give you attitude and make it hard to mail things and tell you "No, you can't do that, you taped it wrong,"etc., and there's not a darn thing you can do about it. It's similar to firemen vs. cops.

I for one salute 'em all (police officers and fire fighters and even postal workers). Nasty, dangerous jobs, and it's heartwrenching about those sad police death stats. Policemen can be truly heroic. But didja' know, too, that there have been more than 80 taser-related deaths in the last four years, with 60% of those occurring the last year? (Amnesty International follows these sorts of things, evidently.) So I hope all policemen will consider that and will use their tasers with the greatest restraint.

mm:
I agree with Susan, so it is my hope that instead of reaching for a tazer they choose the Glock 9mm and increase the death rate percentage! I would never question an officer on these events. It is rare these days to find anyone who just listens to an officers commands, unless they are in danger and then they have no problem calling them.

Instigators should be happy they were tazed instead of summarily "put down" ...which would happen with a bullet gun! If a few meet their demise from the tazer, instaed of questioning the result, why not questioin what lead up to that...at least there was a non-leathal attempt at apprehending a suspect, criminal or whatever...it just didn't work that time. Listening to the officer would have given the dead person life...their choice![/quote:iljh2r0a]

Greg,
You couldn't have said it any better!!! The officers are putting their lives on the line and as long as they give orders and the suspect does not obey, that to me is risking the cops life and they can use whatever force it necessary!

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #33

Every time they put on their uniform, they put their lives at risk! They pull a car over for what ever reason, they NEVER know what they will encounter when they get to the drivers door! For all of you who don't want to follow their commands when they approach you, I hope you all survive the taser. Me, I'll do exactly what he tells me...thats what OUR taxes are paying for, the police to uphold the LAW!
Old 06-12-2005, 03:16 PM   #34
Web Celeb

1044...you were not deleted!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #35

speaking of disiplining, when I was in Jr. High (yeah, a long time ago), the principle caught me doing something (don't remenber what it was, just remember the lesson). He took me to the office and said he'd either call my father and tell him what I did or give me corporal punishment. I told him to give me corporal punishment because he wouldn't give me fraction of what my father would have given me! It was a lesson well learned.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 PM   #36
Web Celeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
speaking of disiplining, when I was in Jr. High (yeah, a long time ago), the principle caught me doing something (don't remenber what it was, just remember the lesson). He took me to the office and said he'd either call my father and tell him what I did or give me corporal punishment. I told him to give me corporal punishment because he wouldn't give me fraction of what my father would have given me! It was a lesson well learned.
People look at me weird when I spank my kids ...but they listen more than they don't!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #37
BBQ Centralite

I'm with you Susan. In this case, with this person, I think the use of a tazer was unwarranted based on the level of threat involved. Know we can't tell all what went on before the incident but using a tazer on someone for a seatbelt infraction is over the line. Looks like a lawsuit is pending. Tazers need to be treated as a potentially lethal weapon, which they are, potentially lethal that is.

Ask yourself if you'ld support this level of force on your daughter if she was in this situation. Let's says she scared, and calls you to ask for your help. In the meantime you got two officers screaming at her pointing a tazer at her head. She's frozen like a dear in the headlights. While your trying to tell her to cooperate with the police the officers zaps her, pulls her out of the car. Now with her arms momentarily paralyzed from the blast she hysterically screams at the officers that she can't put her arms behind her back, that she can't move her arms. So she gets zapped with another 50,000 volts. I think most of you then would be outraged. It's easy to say blast away at some soccer Mom that we don't know and can't see but I was a little bit sickened listening to her sobs of pain. I think a jury might also.

I always tell my son to cooperate with the police and the woman is at fault here for not doing so. I'm just questioning here the use of lethal force for a minor traffic infraction on a civilian that although she did not follow the officers orders was trying to seek advice from someone. I've seen officers be far more patient with high speed chase perps than I have with this officer and this perp. People aren't infallable and that goes for cops too. I'd like to see some sort of policy outlining when the use of this kind of force is justified. Now, I'll climb back down from my soapbox.

I intentionally used daughters instead of wives/husbands knowing I might get different answers with the wife or husband as an example.

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #38
BBQ Central Pro

I bet Andy would have MADE Barney carry his Tazer battery in his button down shirt pocket. Just think how Gomer would have felt getting shocked in front of everybody on the streets of Mayberry over a traffic ticket.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #39

It's a jungle out there. And me and old Roscoe are heading out into it.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #40
BBQ Centralite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleP
I bet Andy would have MADE Barney carry his Tazer battery in his button down shirt pocket. Just think how Gomer would have felt getting shocked in front of everybody on the streets of Mayberry over a traffic ticket.
=D>

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote