She should have gotten out of the car!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Pig & Larry. If the man has a gun, i will do as I'm told! BTW, he was just doing what WE pay him to do! 9 times out of 10, if you do what they say and are polite, you will get off with less than you should!

Kloset BBQR said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":qyqhgi9v][quote="Kloset BBQR":qyqhgi9v][quote="Larry Wolfe":qyqhgi9v]Well in the Officer's defense, we don't know the full story as to why they pulled her over or whether or not they believed she was armed. Plus, she did swing at the one who tazed her and was being combative and would not listen to his directions. Ya'll can say what you want, whether she was a woman or a man I would have done the same thing. Law Enforcement Officers get a bad rap, some deserved but mostly undeserved. Whether you're impressed or not everyone involved went home to their families ALIVE.

Well Larry, I side with the law 99.9% of the time. But she sounded like a ditzy soccer mom to me. Cops should use appropriate force to match the threat. Hate to see potentially deadly force used in a case where it isn't really called for. We had a guy here go into cardiac arrest and die when he was tazed. I too am glad everyone came home alive but think it could have been handled with less force. Officers judgment call in this case. Just surprised we haven't seen this one on the news.[/quote:qyqhgi9v]

She sounded like a big ol girl that would have put a whooping on that cop! He didn't want to get whooped by a woman![/quote:qyqhgi9v]

He should have at least given the command, "Put the cell phone down, put the cell phone down!" :grin:[/quote:qyqhgi9v]
Kloset, not to argue but I heard the cop say exactly that twice. He also told her to get out of the car at least 6 times. Some people just need taze'n. :eek:

Chris,

Like I said I support law enforcement 99.99% of the time and when I saw the
tape I saw no evidence of the lady taking a swing at the cop (not to say that it didn't happen) which would certainly be grounds for tazing. Some people, most people may not think or act rationally when a gun or a tazer is pointing at their head. I still don't believe the second tazing was necessary. You can certainly hear the woman screaming that she couldn't move her arms. I just didn't and I still didn't see the threat as being so severe to use that kind of force. And as I had mentioned earlier, we had a guy here in Cleveland die from a tazing, so a tazer should be used judiciously. I personally think the cop overreacted but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's always easy being a Monday morning quarterback.

On the tape you can hear her tell the cop she ain't hanging the phone up. She proceded to give him a hard time. She should be lucking that I'm not a cop, I would have used my 9MM!

I can't tell if her seat belt was still on or not, but there's a real nice take down move to get people out of the car with just your PR-24. ... Many more with a Handler 12.
:(

In the long version of the tape the cop states that he pulled her over for speeding and not wearing a seat belt.

Wuss or not...I don't generally tell a police officer to wait while I make a phone call...I typically say "yes sir" "right away sir" "sorry sir" nothing he can confuse and then heel me down with a taser!

It's always best to be pleaseant with them officers...they have a tendenacy to get really pissed really quick (with good reason) and there's usually a bunch of them to help a fellow officer out! :!:

Now I'm not defending her logic by any means Greg. All I'm saying is you'ld never see Clint Eastwood or John Wayne use a tazer. Good for her I guess! :grin:

This is why I dont talk politics with friends. If I did, we wouldnt be friends very long. By the way I voted for Bush, sue me. :razz:

Susan Z said:
Actually, sometimes people throw rocks and stuff at firemen while they're putting out fires---bizarre, but true!!---so don't think they get a totally free pass.

People often love their mailmen but hate post office clerks. Why? Cuz mailmen are usually nice to you and seem to be doing you a big favor by bringing you your mail, and postal clerks can give you attitude and make it hard to mail things and tell you "No, you can't do that, you taped it wrong,"etc., and there's not a darn thing you can do about it. It's similar to firemen vs. cops.

I for one salute 'em all (police officers and fire fighters and even postal workers). Nasty, dangerous jobs, and it's heartwrenching about those sad police death stats. Policemen can be truly heroic. But didja' know, too, that there have been more than 80 taser-related deaths in the last four years, with 60% of those occurring the last year? (Amnesty International follows these sorts of things, evidently.) So I hope all policemen will consider that and will use their tasers with the greatest restraint.

:eek:mm:

I agree with Susan, so it is my hope that instead of reaching for a tazer they choose the Glock 9mm and increase the death rate percentage! I would never question an officer on these events. It is rare these days to find anyone who just listens to an officers commands, unless they are in danger and then they have no problem calling them.

Instigators should be happy they were tazed instead of summarily "put down" ...which would happen with a bullet gun! If a few meet their demise from the tazer, instaed of questioning the result, why not questioin what lead up to that...at least there was a non-leathal attempt at apprehending a suspect, criminal or whatever...it just didn't work that time. Listening to the officer would have given the dead person life...their choice!

Greg Rempe said:
[quote="Susan Z":iljh2r0a]Actually, sometimes people throw rocks and stuff at firemen while they're putting out fires---bizarre, but true!!---so don't think they get a totally free pass.

People often love their mailmen but hate post office clerks. Why? Cuz mailmen are usually nice to you and seem to be doing you a big favor by bringing you your mail, and postal clerks can give you attitude and make it hard to mail things and tell you "No, you can't do that, you taped it wrong,"etc., and there's not a darn thing you can do about it. It's similar to firemen vs. cops.

I for one salute 'em all (police officers and fire fighters and even postal workers). Nasty, dangerous jobs, and it's heartwrenching about those sad police death stats. Policemen can be truly heroic. But didja' know, too, that there have been more than 80 taser-related deaths in the last four years, with 60% of those occurring the last year? (Amnesty International follows these sorts of things, evidently.) So I hope all policemen will consider that and will use their tasers with the greatest restraint.

:eek:mm:

I agree with Susan, so it is my hope that instead of reaching for a tazer they choose the Glock 9mm and increase the death rate percentage! I would never question an officer on these events. It is rare these days to find anyone who just listens to an officers commands, unless they are in danger and then they have no problem calling them.

Instigators should be happy they were tazed instead of summarily "put down" ...which would happen with a bullet gun! If a few meet their demise from the tazer, instaed of questioning the result, why not questioin what lead up to that...at least there was a non-leathal attempt at apprehending a suspect, criminal or whatever...it just didn't work that time. Listening to the officer would have given the dead person life...their choice![/quote:iljh2r0a]

Greg,
You couldn't have said it any better!!! The officers are putting their lives on the line and as long as they give orders and the suspect does not obey, that to me is risking the cops life and they can use whatever force it necessary!

Every time they put on their uniform, they put their lives at risk! They pull a car over for what ever reason, they NEVER know what they will encounter when they get to the drivers door! For all of you who don't want to follow their commands when they approach you, I hope you all survive the taser. Me, I'll do exactly what he tells me...thats what OUR taxes are paying for, the police to uphold the LAW!

speaking of disiplining, when I was in Jr. High (yeah, a long time ago), the principle caught me doing something (don't remenber what it was, just remember the lesson). He took me to the office and said he'd either call my father and tell him what I did or give me corporal punishment. I told him to give me corporal punishment because he wouldn't give me fraction of what my father would have given me! It was a lesson well learned.

Nick Prochilo said:
speaking of disiplining, when I was in Jr. High (yeah, a long time ago), the principle caught me doing something (don't remenber what it was, just remember the lesson). He took me to the office and said he'd either call my father and tell him what I did or give me corporal punishment. I told him to give me corporal punishment because he wouldn't give me fraction of what my father would have given me! It was a lesson well learned.

People look at me weird when I spank my kids :eek: ...but they listen more than they don't! :!: :!: :idea: :idea:

I'm with you Susan. In this case, with this person, I think the use of a tazer was unwarranted based on the level of threat involved. Know we can't tell all what went on before the incident but using a tazer on someone for a seatbelt infraction is over the line. Looks like a lawsuit is pending. Tazers need to be treated as a potentially lethal weapon, which they are, potentially lethal that is.

Ask yourself if you'ld support this level of force on your daughter if she was in this situation. Let's says she scared, and calls you to ask for your help. In the meantime you got two officers screaming at her pointing a tazer at her head. She's frozen like a dear in the headlights. While your trying to tell her to cooperate with the police the officers zaps her, pulls her out of the car. Now with her arms momentarily paralyzed from the blast she hysterically screams at the officers that she can't put her arms behind her back, that she can't move her arms. So she gets zapped with another 50,000 volts. I think most of you then would be outraged. It's easy to say blast away at some soccer Mom that we don't know and can't see but I was a little bit sickened listening to her sobs of pain. I think a jury might also.

I always tell my son to cooperate with the police and the woman is at fault here for not doing so. I'm just questioning here the use of lethal force for a minor traffic infraction on a civilian that although she did not follow the officers orders was trying to seek advice from someone. I've seen officers be far more patient with high speed chase perps than I have with this officer and this perp. People aren't infallable and that goes for cops too. I'd like to see some sort of policy outlining when the use of this kind of force is justified. Now, I'll climb back down from my soapbox.

I intentionally used daughters instead of wives/husbands knowing I might get different answers with the wife or husband as an example.

I bet Andy would have MADE Barney carry his Tazer battery in his button down shirt pocket. Just think how Gomer would have felt getting shocked in front of everybody on the streets of Mayberry over a traffic ticket.

DaleP said:
I bet Andy would have MADE Barney carry his Tazer battery in his button down shirt pocket. Just think how Gomer would have felt getting shocked in front of everybody on the streets of Mayberry over a traffic ticket.

:grin: =D>

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom