Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I had a craving for gumbo and decided to make it the other night in a hurry. I can't believe I'm going to admit to this, but a friend of mine gave me 4 bags of Loisiana Purchase Gumbo Mix/Roux. Well like I said I was in a hurry on a week night and wanted gumbo, so I used it. :roll: It was pretty good in a pinch, but not close to homemade. I added bell pepper, onion, okra, smoked sausage, tomatoes, garlic and shrimp. Simmered everything but the shrimp for 30 minutes, turned off the heat and added the shrimp. Served over white rice. Pretty good weeknight meal!!

It looks fine Larry, I have never seen that brand before. Where is it made?

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":2nvl5l3o]It looks fine Larry, I have never seen that brand before. Where is it made?

TEXAS! :shock:[/quote:2nvl5l3o] If it's from Port Arthur, Texas then it's cajun enough.. Good job Larry [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Looks good Larry. Ya know there is a restaurant here in town which makes about the best Gumbo I ever ate and they dont even use a Roux. Wonder how stuff like that happens?

bigwheel

Woodman said:
BAG ROUX? Real gumbo MUST be made from JAR ROUX! Get with the program fella!
[smilie=a_doh.gif]

bigwheel said:
Looks good Larry. Ya know there is a restaurant here in town which makes about the best Gumbo I ever ate and they dont even use a Roux. Wonder how stuff like that happens?

bigwheel

They may use file' powder right before serving to thicken.

They use File' Gumbo but they dont save it for last. They put it in early along with a tomater sauce base. It also has a bunch of other spices in there. It aint just ground sassafras leaves which you can tell by smelling and reading the ingredient list. It comes from the Farmer Brothers Coffee Company. Know one of the ingredients is tea.

bigwheel

Looks real good Larry, that's the important thing. When I used to play golf I always said it didn't matter how I hit the ball as long as I looked good doing it.

bknox said:
I am a little surprized you guys don't make roux. It is just flour and butter.

Brian if you do a search here there was about 5 pages about roux. Before using the bagged roux, I was against using it. Now after using it I still am! I used it the other night because it was a weeknight and the Gumbo was spur of the moment and I needed to make it quick. A good properly made Gumbo roux takes about 30 or more minutes to make and I had to have dinner ready in less time than that!

Tip I got from a real cajun was to use Savoie's in a jar. His theory was unless you is a cajun granny from down in the swamps and make roux often and sorta get it down to a science the stuff in the jar is usually mo betta than whut you can whup up from scratch.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Tip I got from a real cajun was to use Savoie's in a jar. His theory was unless you is a cajun granny from down in the swamps and make roux often and sorta get it down to a science the stuff in the jar is usually mo betta than whut you can whup up from scratch.

bigwheel

That's what Larry is gonna be switching to! :shock:

Nick Prochilo said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

That's what Larry is gonna be switching to! :shock:

No way. Like I said, the bag stuff was good in a pinch, but it's not even close to homemade roux.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom