Salmon Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Al

Senior Cook
Here in New England we don't see fresh wild salmon very often usually once or twice a year. I have been avoiding the farm raised stuff, for obvious reason, but sometimes I really crave a nice slab of grilled salmon.

So, if you had the choice between no salmon or farm raised salmon which would you chose?

Al

This is a lot like the fat side up/down, the foil/no foil controversy. And I am very biased on this issue as you might of guessed from by signature. My wife's family commercial fishes wild fish. My oldest son paid his way through college commercial fishing wild salmon. We have laws prohibiting fish farming for fear the inevitable escapement will dilute our wild stock's gene pool.

Having said all that, eat what you like. AND you are always going to see fresh wild salmon only once or twice a year because their life cycle only brings them in once a year. A large part of the popularity of farmed fish is the year round availability of fresh fish.

I'm luck to live in the state that harvests more seafood than any other. We eat what's in season for the most part.

Uncle Al if you're cravin' a slab of fresh salmon, grab a farmed fish and enjoy.

(Griff steps off soapbox.)

Went to the fish store and what did they have . Copper river salmon !!! :D It was frozen but I bet it's still going to be better then the farm raised stuff.

Al

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom