Saffron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROB O

Senior Cook
There are some really delicious saffron rice recipes too. If you want I could dig some of 'em up. Let me know?
Just to set your expectations though, it's more of a subtle and full taste not an in your face sharp kind of thing.

I find it makes the natural flavors of whatever else I'm cooking that much tastier.

for some reason, real saffron is precious and $$$$

I haven't tried it either but noticed the price :grin:

Like GlennR said, maybe try it in a 'feature recipe' where it is predominant so you can experience it.

Saffron is one of the most expensive spices. It's the dried stamen from crocus flowers. I've only had it in paella and frankly could not for sure find its flavor mixed in with all the other flavors. Although I've done paellas in the oven, it is traditionally done over coals. Hmmm, traditional Spanish BBQ?

Griff

Griff, be wary of that word 'traditional' ... <Shawn does 'duck and cover'> hopefully there are not any members yet who have their own idea of Spanish 'Traditional' BBQ :D

Risotto ala Milanese , Boulliabaise, paella are all good showcases for saffron. I got into saffron and bought a whole oz some years ago. I actually grew some autumn crocuses but the yield is so pitiful, you would have to grow 5000 to get a supply! The flavor is somewhat medicinal and not everybody likes it. It also goes well in butter sauces with fish, shrimp, and scallops! Or, in a one hitter! Woody

Me neighbor, who sells bulk spices to restaurants, had me over for dinner one night....he fixed paella, with beautiful scallops, shrimp and clams. It was one of the top 3 meals I ever ate.....not a grain of rice left on my plate....had to fight him for his secrets.....one was a certain kind of rice he used, one was the addition of lobster consomme (I have yet to find that), and third was saffron...he told me there was about ten dollars worth of saffron in that dinner.....it was fabulous.

I was told once that saffron is, by weight, either the most expensive or second most expensive naturally occurring substance on earth. The other item was truffles ( I can never keep straight whether the white ones or black ones are the rarer of the two.) Beluga caviar was number 3.

When you consider just how much a crocus stamen ways and the labor involved with harvesting it small wonder.

Fortunately, by weight, very little is required.

Whoever mentioned the Risotto Millanese above was absolutely on the right track. That'd be my choice for you FATZ. I had one once in Florence that I still dream about. It was served on the side with a baked fish as the main dish. It was summer and they had sauteed zuchinni blossoms which were indescribable. A crisp dry white wine I can only guess at and appetizers were assorted fresh salami and sausages.

Aaahh but I digress. Aside from the zuchinni blossoms which I hardly ever find over here, definitely the thing I remember most was that risotto millanese.

Go for it! If you need a recipe just holler.

The Key to a good risotto is the constant stirring while ading the hot stock. I would rather eat a risotto than pasta any day of the week.Saffron needs either heat or alcohol to release its color. Fatz, try thr Risotto ala Milanese. If you cannot fine a good recipe let me know. The rice should be crunchy. You [/i]must use arborio rice for this dish. Woody

Woodman said:
You [/i]must use arborio rice for this dish. Woody

Amen. If you can't find arborio (there are some US versions that will work being grown out of Texas) then don't even think about trying it.

You will end up with an unholy mess.

Go for it FATZ! You'll thank us.

Back
Top Bottom