Rubs for poultry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drousseau11

Assistant Cook
Good day all! What would be a great homemade rub for poultry, such as chicken, cornish hens , etc..... Thanks in advance

Good question. I aint never tried making any from scratch. This one looks plausible. Might be tempted to spike it with a little good quality lemon pepper.
BBQ Spice Rub Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Here is another which come from another forum. Looks even better to me.

RowdyRawhide said this one time (quote)
Here is my chicken rub recipe, I think it is a mix of a couple of recipes that I have found and a little of my tweeking. I use it for beer can chicken as well

1 T Onion Powder
1 T Garlic Powder
2 T Turbinado (sugar in the raw)
1 T Kosher Salt
2 T Paprika
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp Lemon Pepper

I am very liberal when I put this on, if you beer can one I push the rub all the way down and around inside the skin, then I pull the extra skin up over the neck hole and weave toothpick through it to keep it closed.

Hope this helps.
Aaron

Edited by RowdyRawhide - 8/18/10 at 11:09pm

Ok..kindly let us know if we need to make some. Not from scratch but got a hot tip right on here for a good rub for Turkeys which consists of Paul Purdhommes Poultry Magic..mixed 50/50 with lemon pepper. The poultry magic is pretty good sized particles so I run it through the spice grinder to get a more reasonable size. Imparts mighty good flavor and prob work on chicken too.

Depends upon what kinda mood you are in, you could go a little savory instead of hot. Try this sometime.

1TBSP Fresh Basil roughly chopped
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Kosher, or Sea Salt
1/4 Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 Poultry Seasoning (little goes along way)

Back
Top Bottom