Righteous Urban Barbecue (RUB)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry D.

Head Chef
I was in NYC over the weekend, visiting my son, and he took us to RUB for dinner. (More accurately, he suggested that I take us there, since Dad paid the bill.) I was seriously underwhelmed. I had the pulled pork, and it didn't seem to have much smoke flavor. My serving included a long piece of unrendered connective tissue - when I picked it up with the fork, about 1/4 of the meat was stuck to it. Prices were typically NYC high... I couldn't help thinking about how much better, and less costly, the bbq is in the Carolinas. I suppose I should have known better. :?

The next time my son and his wife visit us, I'm going to remind him what real bbq is like.

I am really surprised about your report ....every single time I've been there the food was excellant..... Best brisket I've ever eaten in my life has been there.. $8.75 for a sandwich in NYC is very reasonable, btw.. I've had the pulled pork there and it was very good.. sorry you had a bad experience... they use JR Orleys to smoke their meats.. that is one of the best commercial smokers on the market.. maybe you should have said something... the Pittmasters there would have gladly given you new food

Bobberqer said:
I am really surprised about your report ....every single time I've been there the food was excellant.....

Yes, I figured I hit them at a bad time. They've gotten good reviews from most people.

if anyone ever does go to RUB.. a good suggestion for an order is.... Burnt ends as an appy, then their special brisket sammy...It's Brisket, pork belly, and onion rings.... I cannot express to you how good it is.... And.. ask for Scott , the pittmaster, or Andrew, the owner.. tell them that you are into BBQ, and would like to see their smokers.. they are very accomodative to real Que type people, and love to talk about it ..

Bobberqer said:
if anyone ever does go to RUB.. a good suggestion for an order is.... Burnt ends as an appy, then their special brisket sammy...It's Brisket, pork belly, and onion rings.... I cannot express to you how good it is.... And.. ask for Scott , the pittmaster, or Andrew, the owner.. tell them that you are into BBQ, and would like to see their smokers.. they are very accomodative to real Que type people, and love to talk about it ..
Oh man brisket and pork belly together....

Is that the place that "The Baron" helped start? I was reading about that place in the latest copy of Food and Wine.

Thank you for the tip on the "special brisket sammy". I have a business trip to New York next week and I was planning on stopping by this place! Now I know what to order! :D :D

Yes...its a great resource and a good lead source for my commercial podcasting service! A good wine resource is HERE as well...this guy does a daily video podcast and has some great insight. He is also quite a personality... :D :LOL:

Greg Rempe said:
Yes...its a great resource and a good lead source for my commercial podcasting service! A good wine resource is HERE as well...this guy does a daily video podcast and has some great insight. He is also quite a personality... :D :LOL:

I think Greggie has a crush.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom