Recommended Books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
What do you guys recommend for BBQ reading? I might go buy a couple today. Ive been eyin one in particular. Thanks.

I vote for Smoke and Spice. Just dont any attention to the times and temps they recommend.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
are you looking to read about classic bbq or are you looking
for recipes and techniques?

I guess a little of both Cap. My daughter had a volleyball tournament today and i thought i was gonna be there till about 7pm so I wanted to get some reading material. Anyways Heres what I bought:

Dr. BBQ's Big Time Cookbook

Smoke and Spice

on the way to the register I saw The Barbecue Bible and my wife said "well if you want it you better get it now cause its only $6.98" So I thought what the he** Ill get that too. :D

My daughters team got their butts kicked and was the first team "OUT". :(

Greg Rempe said:
The BBQ Bible - Steven Raichlen
NFL Gameday Cookbook - Ray Lampe

Glad to here that! Thats the one I got, by Steven Raichlen.

Any others? thanks for the help everyone!

The BBQ Bible cost me almost 30 bucks about 5 or 6 years ago.
While the basic info on grilling and smoking is excellent, I
was really pissed that 2/3rds of the book was dedicated to
"bbq" from Iran, Laos, and other countries whose cuisine
I could not care less about.

For what you paid, an excellent buy!

I feel a little that way about Smoke and Spice....I disagreed
with one of their thoughts after only a few pages. I got the updated
version, but the recipes still seemed a little dated.

holy smoke is my favorite (not just because I'm mentioned), and
Bob Garner's book "North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored By Time"
is a close second.

Of course, I'm a NC boy, so I'm a little biased. But the reason why
is those books do more to tell about the foundation, and thus the technique, of American barbecue than the others. They do include a few recipes, but that is not the focus of the book. Perhaps Smokestack Lightning" is similar in this regard.

Still...if you've got the bbq bug, anything you read will be fun and
almost certainly instructional.

For me, though, the instructions come right here at BBQ Central.
And they're free.

Ill take that as a yes? ..... Its just easier to remember who's who here (for me). You guys all seem to know each other real well. For me, an outsider commin' in its good to know that some of the people I've been learnin' from, learned (maybe) with one of the best. Thanks

Also want to buy Weber Way To Grill cause it made me so damn hungry with pics. It was $24 so I opted not to.

Ok, maybe not completly, but.....there seems to be alot of people here who seemingly "know" each other real well. I aint met anyone so I cant put a face with a name. Except that post ( I think from HillBilly ) "Show yerself" ( great post btw ) but thats been awhile. yada yada yada etc.... And if I do meet any of you, Please have beer or let me know so I can pick some up before I get there. :LOL: :LOL: :shock:

Most of us have not met most of us! You're not an outsider Bill...as Cappy said, you are here...just ask and you shall receive!

dollarbill said:
Ok, maybe not completly, but.....there seems to be alot of people here who seemingly "know" each other real well. I aint met anyone so I cant put a face with a name. Except that post ( I think from HillBilly ) "Show yerself" ( great post btw ) but thats been awhile. yada yada yada etc.... And if I do meet any of you, Please have beer or let me know so I can pick some up before I get there. :LOL: :LOL: :shock:

All right. Your invited next weekend. Bring the beer and get here early!

BTW, Larry is really UGLY!

Think that Raichlen boy will write a book on anything that will hold still for a miniute. I seen one about 1/2" thick just on Beer Butted chicken they was trying to peddle at BBQ Galore. Person don't realize how many dumb yups in the world who prob buy stuff like that huh?

bigwhee

dollarbill said:
Greg Rempe said:

Glad to here that! Thats the one I got, by Steven Raichlen.

Any others? thanks for the help everyone!

Greg Rempe said:

Raichlen's BBQ USA is much better than BBQ Bible unless you're kind of into artsy fartsy Grilling

Peace, Love, and BBQ by Mike Mills is a great book too.

Legends of Texas BBQ, Rob Walsh

Anything by Paul Kirk!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom