question to all you computer geeks out there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

Sous Chef
The baby was playin on the computer last night. After talking to her boyfriend in China, the sound no longer works. We have a HP with the speakers built into the monitor. The little speaker beside the clock in the lower rigt of the screen is in the correct position. The volume control and mute on the keyboard is working. And all the wires are plugged in. Any ideas? Thanks

Try going into Control Panel, and open up Sounds and Audio Devices. Find the window with Sound and Audio Device Properties, and make sure the MUTE box is not checked. There may also be an Advanced selection (depending on what audio device or sound card you have) that lets you adjust volume, and/or mute, various inputs. Check that to make sure nothing is muted or turned all the way down.

Shut it off and unplug it for a few minutes and then boot up and try again.

Great advice from all. Now I did hear this compooter geek say one time a hard reboot would cure 99 44/100's of whut ails a cornfuser. Think I would try Sapo's plan first and save suggestion 2 as the secret weapon ace in hole so to speak. Now somebody tell me why mine used to run fast now it is slower than cold mollasses. I got a free virii checker from ISP cable TV folks...that really slowed it down. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Great advice from all. Now I did hear this compooter geek say one time a hard reboot would cure 99 44/100's of whut ails a cornfuser. Think I would try Sapo's plan first and save suggestion 2 as the secret weapon ace in hole so to speak. Now somebody tell me why mine used to run fast now it is slower than cold mollasses. I got a free virii checker from ISP cable TV folks...that really slowed it down. Thanks.

bigwheel

BW, are you sure it is the computer that is slow. Cause sometimes I think mine is slow and it's just me nodding off and forgetting what I was doing.

Double click on the speaker icon in the system tray, Is the Master and WAVE sliders turned up?

Start, run, type in CONF, enter. Go through Netmeeting's audio and video wizard. That may tic whatever is off...back on. If not...

Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Sound Video and Game Controllers, Right click on each until you find the one that says uninstall, uninstall the audio..then reboot. It should pick it up again on reboot. If it doesn't, visit the manufacturer's website for the audio device that you have and download the latest drivers.

Ok if a baby did it. Look and see if you have one of those smart keyboards with hot key short cuts for adjusting the audio. Maybe the baby hit one. Did you try another set of speakers?

ScottyDaQ said:
Double click on the speaker icon in the system tray, Is the Master and WAVE sliders turned up?

Start, run, type in CONF, enter. Go through Netmeeting's audio and video wizard. That may tic whatever is off...back on. If not...

Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Sound Video and Game Controllers, Right click on each until you find the one that says uninstall, uninstall the audio..then reboot. It should pick it up again on reboot. If it doesn't, visit the manufacturer's website for the audio device that you have and download the latest drivers.

+1 for checking that. Also you may find a hardware volume control, either in line with the cable that plugs into the computer or on the screen somewhere. If it plugs into the audio jack (not USB) you can unplug it and tap your finger across the plug where you see the black concentric lines on it. This will short the connections each time and you will hear a "buzz" or "thump" from the speakers. If you hear this then the problem is in the PC. if you dont then start to suspect hardware volume control or blown speakers

Well after trying everthing suggested, thanks by the way, I decided to look at the situation in the KISS method. Under the monitors menue, there is a volume setting, and it was on zero. Now I can go listen to FDR's speach that Sapo posted. Thanks again for all your help. I gues wnkt you were the closest.

Try Willie's Place Channel 13 on XM Sat Radio since you got the sound working. 100% Traditional Country. Listening to Loretta as we speak.
Your Squaw is on the Warpath Tonight.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Try Willie's Place Channel 13 on XM Sat Radio since you got the sound working. 100% Traditional Country. Listening to Loretta as we speak.

bigwheel

Well if your speakers weren't dead.....they will be if you do that. :roll: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well can't believe the young skulls fulla mush we got around heah that don't know how to get themselves exposed to good music when they given directions on how to find some. I never cease to be amazed. Bound to be space aliens who try to make all the white boys want to be black boys. Thats why I wear the tinfoil head gear. They can't control a person's brain waves if you got one of them protective caps. Now just quoting Art Bell. I dont feel this way personally of course. I am real Politcally Correct under most circumstances.

bigwheel

ScottyDaQ said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Well if your speakers weren't dead.....they will be if you do that. :roll: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Make me want to burn mine! :LOL:

Speaking of Art Bell...and since this is a thread about computer geeks....I recall someone calling into George Noory on Coast to Coast with a prank that was truly epic.

He talks about being followed by a strange man in a suit that he can never reach, portal technologies, and strange creatures that were beyond imagination. Poor George, has no clue....and probably like most here...cept for maybe Helen.

The prankster was talking about the video game "Half Life 2".

http://www.ubercharged.net/2008/01/21/g ... -coast-am/

Back
Top Bottom