Question for the food police.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I made Chicken and Sausage jambalaya awhile back and the people who ate it got diarrhea including myself. I cooked it in the jambalaya pot and transfered it into a large Tupperware type container and didn't put it into the fridge right away. What do you think went wrong? Chicken was cooked all the way in hot oil and them boiled again with the rice. Should I use precooked chicken to avoid this? Could it have been bad chicken? It didn't smell bad. I felt bad because usually my food don't make people sick..I might make a small batch and test it on my coworkers. Yall who work in the cooking business might have the answer... Thanks..

It may have been the way it was handled before or after you bought it.
1 Keep raw meat below 40 deg till ready to throw in your pot
2 Rinse of the chicken just before cooking then cook it
3 Keep your hands, utinsles, prep area & storage containers sanitized.
4 The faster you bring raw meat through the "Danger Zone" 40-140 deg
The better
5 Keep the food warmer than 140 till you its either gone or put in the fridg.
6 Clean your pot before & after each use then season it for storage

007bond-jb said:
It may have been the way it was handled before or after you bought it.
1 Keep raw meat below 40 deg till ready to throw in your pot
2 Rinse of the chicken just before cooking then cook it
3 Keep your hands, utinsles, prep area & storage containers sanitized.
4 The faster you bring raw meat through the "Danger Zone" 40-140 deg
The better
5 Keep the food warmer than 140 till you its either gone or put in the fridg.
6 Clean your pot before & after each use then season it for storage
Thanks JB. I am going to buy a food warmer ot whatever you call them to keep it hot until it's gone. The Jambalaya pot is too heave to lug around and too hot.. thanks again brother. :D What do you use to keep food warm for a big group? pic or link please

something like this?
necsshowimage26lg.gif

Stogie said:
Did you serve your guests before or after the jamba was refrigerated?

How long do you estimate the Tupperware container sat out?

Having said all that, I like Cappy's question!! LOL

Cappy's question first.. No jalapeños... :D

I served the folks after I refrigerated the food.

I left it out for about 4 hours. But it was piping hot...

I read recently that it is advised you DO NOT rinse poultry before cooking because the fine overspray particles end up getting on all of the surroundings and that rinsing the poulty does more harm than good due to the above.

Also, most food related sickness comes from cross contamination rather than the actual food itself. So it may not have specifically been the jambalaya, but rather a contaminated serving vessel or utensil that caused the sickness. This could easily be the cause by the fine overspray mist from rinsing the chicken and it got onto something else.

Larry Wolfe said:
I read recently that it is advised you DO NOT rinse poultry before cooking because the fine overspray particles end up getting on all of the surroundings
Oh, man ... I've gotta rinse my poultry. Just gotta. :(

--John

Unity said:
Larry Wolfe said:
I read recently that it is advised you DO NOT rinse poultry before cooking because the fine overspray particles end up getting on all of the surroundings

--John

I'm sure if you do it with a low stream of water everything will be fine.

I freak out about prepping poultry and will practically go over the whole kitchen with bleach.

Larry Wolfe said:
Unity said:
http://prostores1.megawebservers.com/kr ... ya%20hooks[/url]

Its best not to serve Jambalaya after storing in a sealed ziplock or plastic container. It will "Sour"

GT cut a hole in top that new hat so you can git sum solar power back to you brain Boy! ;)

Larry Wolfe said:
I read recently that it is advised you DO NOT rinse poultry before cooking because the fine overspray particles end up getting on all of the surroundings and that rinsing the poulty does more harm than good due to the above.

Also, most food related sickness comes from cross contamination rather than the actual food itself. So it may not have specifically been the jambalaya, but rather a contaminated serving vessel or utensil that caused the sickness. This could easily be the cause by the fine overspray mist from rinsing the chicken and it got onto something else.

I concur! If that food was hot when you served it, it should have been OK. E. Coli ,or Salmonella will not be present in "piping hot" food. It is possible, I guess, that you all passed around a "rotovirus" by hand shaking too. Or, your cooking just sucks....... :twisted:

Woodman said:
Larry Wolfe said:

I concur! If that food was hot when you served it, it should have been OK. E. Coli ,or Salmonella will not be present in "piping hot" food. It is possible, I guess, that you all passed around a "rotovirus" by hand shaking too. Or, your cooking just sucks....... :twisted:

I told Gt he couldn't cook cajun rite, He's a Texan plus a Creek ;)
That = 2 against Surfin sippy :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
Unity said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2bvbx86y]I read recently that it is advised you DO NOT rinse poultry before cooking because the fine overspray particles end up getting on all of the surroundings

--John

I'm sure if you do it with a low stream of water everything will be fine.

I freak out about prepping poultry and will practically go over the whole kitchen with bleach.[/quote:2bvbx86y]
I'm the same way with any kind of meat. I use a spray bottle dilluted with bleach and clean all surfaces. You never know what kind of "heebie jeebies" might be lurking about. :shock:

Sounds to me like it may have spoiled while cooling. I had 5 gallons of gumbo spoil on me and about 4 gallons of chili one time. Now, when I have a big pot of something that needs cooling quick, I do an ice bath with a little water. I stir until thermometer says temp is okay. Adding more ice if needed. Since I started doing this, I have lost nothing. It just makes a fellow sick to have to chunk that much gumbo and chili away. The way I could tell both were bad, as I was reheating, it had a funky odor and began to foam, SPOILED, SOUR.

Puff said:
I'm the same way with any kind of meat. I use a spray bottle dilluted with bleach and clean all surfaces. You never know what kind of "heebie jeebies" might be lurking about. :shock:
Motor oil, Spackle, paint, etc... Yeah. We hear ya.

SS, I think JB, Kevin, and Damar got it. If you're gunna refer sumthin BIG that's hot...you gotta get a way to cool it down FAST (dry ice/salted ice water)...flash it, or put it in a bunch of smaller containers so it'll cool more rapidly (still using ice).... OR keep it warm in the nice bug free zone >140.

A big pot of something hot when refer'd is gunna take you right in to the Danger Zone (insert Kenny Loggins music here)

I took a food safe course this spring and can say that Scotty nailed it dead center. It has to be brought down quick before refrigerating.
Did you wash your hands after pooping????? :LOL: :LOL:

ScottyDaQ said:
Puff said:
Motor oil, Spackle, paint, etc... Yeah. We hear ya.

SS, I think JB, Kevin, and Damar got it. If you're gunna refer sumthin BIG that's hot...you gotta get a way to cool it down FAST (dry ice/salted ice water)...flash it, or put it in a bunch of smaller containers so it'll cool more rapidly (still using ice).... OR keep it warm in the nice bug free zone >140.

A big pot of something hot when refer'd is gunna take you right in to the Danger Zone (insert Kenny Loggins music here)
Dude you're a "Kenny" fan?
Sweet!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom