Question for the food police.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ScottyDaQ said:
Puff said:
I'm the same way with any kind of meat. I use a spray bottle dilluted with bleach and clean all surfaces. You never know what kind of "heebie jeebies" might be lurking about. :shock:
Motor oil, Spackle, paint, etc... Yeah. We hear ya.

SS, I think JB, Kevin, and Damar got it. If you're gunna refer sumthin BIG that's hot...you gotta get a way to cool it down FAST (dry ice/salted ice water)...flash it, or put it in a bunch of smaller containers so it'll cool more rapidly (still using ice).... OR keep it warm in the nice bug free zone >140.

A big pot of something hot when refer'd is gunna take you right in to the Danger Zone (insert Kenny Loggins music here)
Thanks Scotty and the others.. I usually only cook for me and my wife. I think I know what happened now.. Too much, cooling too slow == bad bugs... I'm going to get a roaster oven and keep it hot if cooked right before serving it, or put it in 1 gallon Ziploc and ice down immediately
JB, you aint a Cajun--- you German BOY :shock:

Woodman said:
Larry Wolfe said:
I read recently that it is advised you DO NOT rinse poultry before cooking because the fine overspray particles end up getting on all of the surroundings and that rinsing the poulty does more harm than good due to the above.

Also, most food related sickness comes from cross contamination rather than the actual food itself. So it may not have specifically been the jambalaya, but rather a contaminated serving vessel or utensil that caused the sickness. This could easily be the cause by the fine overspray mist from rinsing the chicken and it got onto something else.

I concur! If that food was hot when you served it, it should have been OK. E. Coli ,or Salmonella will not be present in "piping hot" food. It is possible, I guess, that you all passed around a "rotovirus" by hand shaking too. Or, your cooking just sucks....... :twisted:
It actually didn't suck as far as taste.. I couldn't prove it was the food 100% because one guy ate 3 bowls and he said he didn't get sick. I just wanted to make it again and be careful. Thanks for your advice woody. ;)

You have a 4 hour window but that includes prep time, time while the chicken was cooking but not over 140 and the time it set out and the dish was not at 140 or higher.

The bacteria grows between 40 and 140 degrees and the bacteria dies when the temp reaches over 160 internal. The dead bacteria is toxic and causes the problems. When cooling a dish it needs to get to 70 degrees in 2 hours and then you have more time to get it below 40.

Most refrigerators don't move cold air so just placing a hot dish in it does not get the temps down quick enougth, you are better off using a ice bath method.

Jim

One more thought, SS did clean the prep area or containers with an old sponge?
You should use a NEW clean sponge or clean dish rags. Those kitchen scrub brushes & other cleaning items are incubators for nasty lil creatures.

I'll use em only to loosen stuck on food then clean the items in the dishwasher.
Them heating elements in the bottom aint just for drying the dishes,
They superheat the water for sanitaion

JB is right, sponges are one of the most nasty things in
your kitchen.

Most important in cooling big batches is seperating into smaller portions
that will cool down quicker individually....this will save the most time.

ScottyDaQ said:
Puff said:
I'm the same way with any kind of meat. I use a spray bottle dilluted with bleach and clean all surfaces. You never know what kind of "heebie jeebies" might be lurking about. :shock:
Motor oil, Spackle, paint, etc... Yeah. We hear ya.

SS, I think JB, Kevin, and Damar got it. If you're gunna refer sumthin BIG that's hot...you gotta get a way to cool it down FAST (dry ice/salted ice water)...flash it, or put it in a bunch of smaller containers so it'll cool more rapidly (still using ice).... OR keep it warm in the nice bug free zone >140.

A big pot of something hot when refer'd is gunna take you right in to the Danger Zone (insert Kenny Loggins music here)
Damit Maverick

Dkoster said:
Just out of curiosity why do you wash your chicken, what makes you sick from the chicken lives in the chicken while alive which means it throughout all the meat, not just on the outside of it.

As for cool down, HACCP procedures dictate the following (HACCP is like ISO for the food industry the world over). Once the meat reaches 54 degrees Celsius or 129.2 degrees Fahrenheit you have two hours to get it to below 27 degrees Celsius or 80.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Then from 27 degrees Celsius or 80.6 degrees Fahrenheit to below 4 degrees Celsius or 39.2 degrees Fahrenheit you have 5 more hours to complete. For a total of 7 hours to bring it to the required temperature. The above are what all HACCP approved facilities use and have to keep records of.

What other ingredients did you have in there, the poops usually isn't a chicken thing. My and my corporate chef both think it was probably a seafood issue if you had it in there.
there wasn't any seafood... just chicken and sausage. Who knows , it's a thing of the past.. I am going to make it again and see if they will be brave enough to eat it.... Ha Ha Ha.. Thanks for the video JB.... :D

Dkoster said:
Just out of curiosity why do you wash your chicken, what makes you sick from the chicken lives in the chicken while alive which means it throughout all the meat, not just on the outside of it.

As for cool down, HACCP procedures dictate the following (HACCP is like ISO for the food industry the world over). Once the meat reaches 54 degrees Celsius or 129.2 degrees Fahrenheit you have two hours to get it to below 27 degrees Celsius or 80.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Then from 27 degrees Celsius or 80.6 degrees Fahrenheit to below 4 degrees Celsius or 39.2 degrees Fahrenheit you have 5 more hours to complete. For a total of 7 hours to bring it to the required temperature. The above are what all HACCP approved facilities use and have to keep records of.

What other ingredients did you have in there, the poops usually isn't a chicken thing. My and my corporate chef both think it was probably a seafood issue if you had it in there.

The reason I was all meat & veggies Is That you never know who or what handled the food during processing. Some of the butchers down here walk out from the prep area with bloody aprons & boots that look like they been walkin though the back 40 with :shock:
I don't trust em

Well yall. I did it.. last night I made another batch of Jambalaya from : http://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya.html and it was awesome.. I used chicken, andouille & Shrimps.. A tomato base.. I used large amounts of Cajun seasoning to make it real spicy... I ate it over 8 hours ago and I am not sick.. I made it in a giant stainless steel stock pot and them transferred it into a smaller stainless steel pot and put it into the refrigerator at the coldest setting...I made half the amount from the time I got sick.. I didn't take pictures or video to prevent jinxing myself.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Here's the recipe if anyone is interested...:
JAMBALAYA

There are a wide variety of ways to make jambalaya, with chicken and sausage, or shrimp, or ham, or even duck or alligator. Some involve tomatoes and tomato sauce, some use chicken or beef stock instead. This first one uses both tomatoes and chicken stock, and is a New Orleans Creole-style "red" jambalaya, as opposed to one made with only stock, a more Cajun-style"brown" jambalaya (like Dee Gautreau's or Marc Savoy's).

One of my favorite variations is the one in which I omit the rice basis of the dish (gasp, blasphemy!) and substitute pasta. Turns out that my Pasta Jambalaya is very popular among my family, friends and readers. It's a bit of a Creole-Italilan spin on the dish ... give it a try sometime!

By the way, it's pronounced <jahm> or <jum>.

* 1 lb. boneless chicken, cubed; AND/OR
o 1 lb. shrimp, boiled in Zatarain's and peeled; OR
o 1 lb. leftover holiday turkey, cubed; OR
o 1 lb. of any kind of poultry or fish, cubed; OR
o Any combination of the above
* 1 lb. (hot) smoked sausage, andouille or chaurice, sliced on the bias; OR
o 1 lb. diced smoked ham
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 bell pepper, chopped
* 3 - 6 cloves garlic, minced (amount to taste; I like lots)
* 4 ribs celery, chopped
* 3 small cans tomato paste
* 4 large Creole tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced; OR
o 1 28-oz. can tomatoes
* 8 cups good dark homemade chicken stock
* Creole seasoning blend to taste (or 2 - 3 tablespoons); OR
o 2 teaspoons cayenne, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 1 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teapsoon thyme
* 2 bay leaves
* Salt to taste
* 4 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked (Some people like converted rice, others prefer good old Mahatma. I use Uncle Ben's converted, as the rice doesn't get sticky or lumpy that way.)

In a sauté or frying pan, brown the chicken, sprinkling with Tony Chachere's seasoning if you've got it; a bit of salt, black pepper and red pepper otherwise. Don't brown if using leftover cooked bird, but you still might want to season the meat. Tear or cut the meat into bite-size pieces.

Brown the sliced smoked sausage or andouille and pour off fat. In the pot, sauté the onions, garlic, peppers and celery in oil until onions begin to turn transparent.

In the same pot, while you're sautéing the "trinity", add the tomato paste and let it pincé, meaning to let it brown a little. What we're going for here is an additional depth of flavor by browning the tomato paste a little; the sugar in the tomato paste begins to caramelize, deepening the flavor and color. Keep it moving so that it browns but doesn't burn. Some friends of mine hate this step, so you can skip it if you want, but then it won't be Chuck's jambalaya. :^)

Once the vegetables are translucent and the tomato paste achives sort of a red mahogany color, deglaze the pan with the about 2 cups of the stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to mix up any browned bits, and stir until smooth, making sure the sautéed vegetables, paste and stock are combined thoroughly. It should be fairly thick.

Add the Creole seasoning, tomatoes and salt to taste. Cook over low-medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the meat and/or seafood and cook another 10 minutes; if you're using seafood, be careful not to overcook it.

Add the rest of the stock, check seasonings, and stir in the rice, combining thoroughly. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid and is cooked through. If you haven't checked your seasonings before adding the rice, it's too late! It's much better for the rice to absorb the seasonings while it's cooking. Check seasoning anyway, then turn the heat down to low-medium and let the sauce thicken up a bit, with the pot uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Stir thoroughly to combine all ingredients. When the jambalaya has thickened up a bit and has reached the "right" consistency (you'll know), it's done.

Serve with salad and French bread.

Wow, a cooked dish and you didn't get sick. That's some cooking. :shock: :shock:
Just scewing with ya. Glad you sorted it out. :D

surfinsapo said:
Well yall. I did it.. last night I made another batch of Jambalaya from : http://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya.html and it was awesome.. I used chicken, andouille & Shrimps.. A tomato base.. I used large amounts of Cajun seasoning to make it real spicy... I ate it over 8 hours ago and I am not sick..
Sapo I hope everys okay and you don't get sick. However, salmonellas "incubation time" or period from ingestion until the first symptoms of illness occur ranges from 12 to 72 hours. So stay close to home for 3 days to be sure!! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom