pulled pork for DIY bike mechanics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
During a break on our ride back from the Finger Lakes (NY) Rally 2 weeks ago, our friend Jerry said, "I'm planning on hosting a tech day in a couple of weeks," and Jody said, "John can fix barbecue!" :shock:

I got 2 2-packs of boneless butts from Costco mid-week, 27+ lbs. (I'd much rather do bone-in, but nobody could come close to Costco's 1.49/lb price. And they didn't have bone-in. Fortunately, I have a spool of butcher twine.) I didn't know exactly how many eaters would be there, but it looked like at least a dozen and maybe as many as 20. Friday night I rubbed with Southern Succor (a pepper-heavy recipe from Smoke & Spice, my old favorite for butts),

then Saturday a.m. started a full charcoal ring using the Minion Method, and put 3 butts on at 9 a.m.

The WSM behaved itself well all day, but I needed to add coals twice, about 7 p.m. and about 11:30 p.m.

Everything was out of the smoker by 1 a.m., pulled and bagged by 1:45.

I guessed the raw weight at ~22 lbs; pulled weight was 11.5 lbs. Come morning I found that one of the FoodSaver bags wasn't sealed as tight as it appeared, but it didn't leak when reheating in boiling water. Gotta remember: Seal twice. (Griff told me that, but I got anxious to go to bed.)

Ya know, I never did count the crowd, but there weren't many more than a dozen. They loved the Q. Everybody came back for seconds, some for more than that. My reputation is golden.

--John 8)
(Is it catering when you provide the meat and don't get paid? If so, this was my first gig. ;))

Bravo my bro! Bravo
[smilie=dancing_cow.gif]

I love cooking for friends
peace
<><

Nick Prochilo said:
Looks like you pulled it off John! How many showed up for the final count?
Looking at pics on the bike board, I'm guessing 16 or 17. My memory is no longer good enough to examine the replay frame-by-frame. :(

--John 8)
(But my pulled pork is pretty good. :) )

I knew I smelled good BBQ blowing in from the North East John! Next time I'm gonna follow the scent and show up!!!

wittdog said:
Looks good..next time you are up here...let me know you can stop for a cold one.
Darn, I was in total bike mode while we were in and around Watkins Glen, and it completely escaped me that there are Q buddies all over western NY! :oops: I'll plan on coming by next Labor Day weekend -- the Finger Lakes Rally is a must-do, and meeting up with some of you guys will make it even better. :)

Thanks, everybody, for your encouragement. As you can tell, I don't usually cook for a crowd, but now I know that it's as easy as cooking for family -- except more meat takes more fuel and more time. I'm still getting wows this morning on the motorcycle board -- people aren't used to the idea that you can make better than you can buy. If you have a WSM. ;)

--John 8)

Way to go John. Looks like you will be taking that next step and start charging for those gigs. There is money to be made my friend. ;)

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Way to go John. Looks like you will be taking that next step and start charging for those gigs. There is money to be made my friend. ;)
True, but there is something special about cooking for friends though.
Looks fantastic John! Well done :P

Rag said:
Strange looking bikes. :twisted: :LOL:
The better to cross the continent with, my dear. :P

--John 8)
(The R1150GS in the next to last photo just wentfrom Virginia to Mississippi to San Diego to Alaska to Wisconsin to Canada to Vermont and back to Virginia. ;))

Looks like everyone had a good time. The Q looked great.

Did you notice anything different about the taste without resting the butts for a couple of hours ?

Back
Top Bottom