Prime Brisket deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
I made a deal with my local butcher today. He is selling me whole prime brisket for $2.49/lb untrimmed. These are not packers and he actually cuts the brisket off the cows when they come in. He gets the fresh angus in every Thursday and will cut off what I need then. He originaly started at $2.99 and when I told him I was competing and catering it went down to $2.49. Their steaks and everything else I buy from them are fantastic. Everything he sells is prime. Two are on order for a large Memorial weekend cook. Cooking three days at a campround for a buddy and he is buying all the meat and I'm passing out business cards. All I have to do is take my Klose up and cook.

Sweet deal UB!!! Would you mind mailing me some at that price?? You pay the shipping of course. :shock:

Unc,

Questions: The brisket is actually rolled (stamped) Prime? :?: Or the butcher says it's Prime? :?: Or it's from a Prime animal? :?:

Rich

My guess is it is a prime animal. Their stuff is fabulous. All their meats look like something from a meat board book. Their steaks are the best.

I know what you mean. I finally found a butcher who can get me excellent black angus brisket. It's a Korean butcher shop ("Sorry, no Ingrrish -- oh Mr. Brrisketu? Herro Mr. Brrisketu."), in Diamond Bar. Pretty much everything there is prime. They have a case out front where the meat is displayed like jewels. The action takes place in the back where no one can see.

They cut the brisket thin as can be, and roll it into cigarette shapes for Korean barbecue. The retail trays are marked Prime. I think they're getting something like $12/lb for the trimmed sliced, rolled and packed brisket.. There's no question that most of the beef in the store really is Prime. Right marbeling, right color, etc. But I'm buying the briskets whole, still in the cryovac and they're rolled Choice.

The owner as well as several other butchers selling mostly prime tells me his suppliers say there's no such thing as Prime brisket. That the USDA just won't roll a brisket Prime, because the flat gets too much exercise.

I'm not complaining about the quality, the price ($2.75/lb), or the service. It's hands away the best brisket I've ever cooked -- and according to my wife it's the best we ever ate. So, I'm a happy guy. Don't get me wrong. They always hold whichever is the most pliable brisket back for me. And when I call ahead, the butcher's wife who fronts the store and claims to speak no English (no Ingrrish), calls me Mr. Brrisketu -- which is charming as all hell.

Wondering if the same is true at your end. Minus the Korean accents of course.

Do you think it's worth trying to explain "left handed" briskets? Anyone 'round here speak Korean?

Rich

Back
Top Bottom