pork shouder ideas ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Ive got a nice shoulder I was going to throw in the WSM for pushed pork, but I was looking for maybe a different idea for what to do with it. The only thing I came up with so far was a stew.. Anyone got anything ? Hello ? Bueller ?

Nick Prochilo said:
ABT's, nachos, stuffed cabbage..................................................
all that stuff uses the pulled pork... I was looking at a way to cook it other than PP

Yeppers that works. It will start getting sliceable at 180 and hit a peak around 185-190 where it is real sliceable. It devolves rapidly past that point into the mushy mess yankees like to eat called pushed pork. The sliceable thing works fair on Boston Butt and excellent on picnics. Now if you got a full shoulder you a very fortunate fellow. It apparently illegal to sell them parts still attached in Tejas. Now I would not waste a shoulder or its component parts just to make stew. Stew would do if you had some leftovers which in my experience leftover pig taste mo betta than leftover cows. I would not sacrifice good bbq in a stew making effort. Sides it too hot for stew. That is a cold weather dish. Best of fortunes on the endeavor.

So, I ended up slicing it to make CS ribs, but didn't like the way they looked, so I seared them and roasted them at 350 for a few hours. Served with mashed taters, brown gravy and corn on the cob. Ya, I know, no pic...

Well I regret the pic rule sometimes. Just wondering what a plate of sliced up butt roasted at 350 would look like. I think it would prob be illegal to do that here in God's Country. Prob why I aint seen or heard tell of anybody engaging in such nefarious activities. I bet the young man run out of Gulf Light or something like that.

John, next time smoke it for a couple hours, then mix it in a bed of sauerkraut, granny smith apples, vidalia onions, foil and cook until tender.

Larry Wolfe said:
John, next time smoke it for a couple hours, then mix it in a bed of sauerkraut, granny smith apples, vidalia onions, foil and cook until tender.

I got a couple in the freezer... Think Ill do that at camp this weekend with one of them.. I'm gonna try that fuse method thing we saw in the other post instead of hauling the WSM down...
I'm down to my cell phone for pics as my daughter stole my camera...Ill try to get proof pics, but don't expect much..

Back
Top Bottom