Pork alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Just seen on TV as sure some of you already know about that the food safety techies have discovered 70% of the fresh pork products we get are infected with "yersinia" virus which give folks a belly ache fever..squirts etc. Wash hands and cook it well done is the tips they gave for making it skip over we'uns. Got to handle it like raw chicken I guess. No wonder my Mama fry a 1/4 pork chop for three days. Hopefully the stuff dies at less than 150. Thats where I like my loins..lol.

Yep,
"The preparation of raw pork intestines (chitterlings) may be particularly risky."

"After handling raw chitterlings, clean hands and fingernails scrupulously with soap and water before touching infants or their toys, bottles, or pacifiers. Someone other than the foodhandler should care for children while chitterlings are being prepared."

Disease Listing, Yersinia enterocolitica, General Info | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases

"The major animal reservoir for Y. enterocolitica strains that cause human illness is pigs, but other strains are also found in many other animals including rodents, rabbits, sheep, cattle, horses, dogs, and cats. In pigs, the bacteria are most likely to be found on the tonsils."

Thanks for the link and additonal info. To save a person some valuable research time do you happen to know the times and temps it takes to slay it? I sure hate to start having to overcook stuff.

Back
Top Bottom