Politics. - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Cooker

Politics.

Gang Sorry. I generally avoid political statements but this really upset me and I need to vent.

I was in DC this weekend and the Washington Post reported that 12% of the American people gave George Washington an Unfavorable job performance rating.

George Washington! Man did this torque me off. What that guy pulled off and what he had to go through and then 1 out of 8 of us gives him an unfavorable? And these are the same people voting for today's elected representatives?

Maybe Churchill was right. "The best argument against democracy is 15 minutes w/the average voter."

Sorry, I respect everyone's opinions and look for the wisdom in everything but it is really hard for me to see a silver lining here. One out of 8 of us thinks George Washington did a poor job!!!!

:rant:

Maybe one of you kind souls out there can fill me in on whatever it is I'm missing in this country's popular culture these days.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
Graduate of BBQ Central

Larry
The 12% more than likely didn't know which George Washington they were talking about. They thought it was about the guy at the end of the block who's dog craps on the stoop in front of their building.
Jim

Old 02-22-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
Cooker

Yeah. Still ticks me off Jim. 2000 respondents that means 160 people still pushed the Unfavorable button.

Not gonna go any further here because when you're angry it's best to remain silent.

160 American voters when asked stated they thought George Washington had done a poor job as president. **** Rob shaking head in disbelief *****
Old 02-22-2005, 10:59 PM   #4
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATZ
Well, I am part of "American people" and I don't believe I was ever asked that question.

From what I understand, he was the "action hero" of his time.

ROCK ON, Original GW!!!!!!!
Yeah... I know. Personal hero of mine. Based on the little bit I've read about those guys I'm not sure the revolution would have succeeded without him.

Did you know he is still the only American President to take the field of battle? (Forget about the revolution where he was under direct fire.) He took it again after election during the Whiskey Rebellion.

Put his life and his personal estate at risk for principe from which we've all benefited and 1 out of 8 of us states he did a poor job in office.

I know I'm not one of that 12% but geez..... does this make me angry.

Bet he smoked a pretty good ham too... OK I'm cooling down now.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark

It's probably because he was gay!

No... that was Lincoln.

Bad hair, no teeth?

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Larry
The 12% more than likely didn't know which George Washington they were talking about. They thought it was about the guy at the end of the block who's dog craps on the stoop in front of their building.
Jim
Jim,
You inadvertantly addressed me in your reply to the politics thread. Rob wrote the post, not me??? Nice to see you are thinking of me though!
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
BBQ Centralite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB O
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATZ
Well, I am part of "American people" and I don't believe I was ever asked that question.

From what I understand, he was the "action hero" of his time.

ROCK ON, Original GW!!!!!!!
Yeah... I know. Personal hero of mine. Based on the little bit I've read about those guys I'm not sure the revolution would have succeeded without him.

Did you know he is still the only American President to take the field of battle? (Forget about the revolution where he was under direct fire.) He took it again after election during the Whiskey Rebellion.

Put his life and his personal estate at risk for principe from which we've all benefited and 1 out of 8 of us states he did a poor job in office.

I know I'm not one of that 12% but geez..... does this make me angry.

Bet he smoked a pretty good ham too... OK I'm cooling down now.
Rob, I've got to correct you on that "field of battle" thingy. George H Bush was shot down in the Pacific during WW II. I agree with your take on the morons in this country though. Actually, whoever posed the question was , most likely, trying to elicit just such a response to prove this point. Kind of like a Leno thing? You know, "what state is Pennsylvania in?" kind of thing? Woody
Old 02-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Z
John Hanson (folks around this area might have heard of the John Hanson highway, named after him cuz he was he's a Marylander) was the first "President of the United States in Congress Assembled."
Yep! Went to John Hanson Jr. High for a year and a month in Oxon Hill..
Old 02-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman

Rob, I've got to correct you on that "field of battle" thingy. George H Bush was shot down in the Pacific during WW II. I agree with your take on the morons in this country though. Actually, whoever posed the question was , most likely, trying to elicit just such a response to prove this point. Kind of like a Leno thing? You know, "what state is Pennsylvania in?" kind of thing? Woody
You're right about that Wood and there have been others that came under fire *prior* to assuming the office. JFK, Teddy Roosevelt, and Ulysees Grant are famous examples (I'm assuming Grant actually came under fire at some point in his career).

What I meant was a sitting president taking the field as Commander in Chief. I'm pretty sure Washington is the only one who ever did it.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #10
BBQ Centralite

Oh, Ok. That's true then! On the Hanson thing, there's a guy near here who has a museum dedicated to all the "other" presidents. He's kind of eccentric though!! :loony: